• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC comics, for the instant, lost its lustre in his eyes...

34 posts in this topic

I can live with the 7.0 or better slabs but...I will admit I'm buying more raw vf's or better as of late.

I'm just glad I do not have to spend thousands on slabs to build up my SA DC collection. The whole Ewert thing is a drag, I dont mind pressing per say but trimming, replaced staples 893naughty-thumb.gifsumo.giffrustrated.gifscrewy.gifmad.gif

My last CGC purchase did not even register - I took one look at it, and tossed it in the box...
Sucker poke2.gif

27_laughing.gif Just think of it as my donation to the Greggy 100-Pager's DC Fund.

Now where's my tax receipt? acclaim.gif

My last CGC purchase did not even register - I took one look at it, and tossed it in the box...
Sucker poke2.gif

27_laughing.gif Just think of it as my donation to the Greggy 100-Pager's DC Fund.

Now where's my tax receipt? acclaim.gif

Not a registered charity so confused-smiley-013.gif

Until I hear an explanation of what is going on with PCS,and if Chris was pre-screening and pressing books for a select few clients,the only CGC books I'll buy are triple-covers that are true one of a kind items.

I've got my short list of forumites and two or three non-forum ebay sellers that offer enough books to keep my buying going.

Anyone else feeling the same? It used to be that there would be some excitement about killer books for sale, and people posting their grails,etc. Now that type of conversation is (probably rightly so) virtually dead. Lately, the boards also seem rather sedate, and the number of posts must have dropped significantly, as I came on here last night and there was virtually nothing new.

I am far from a CGC acolyte, but my view towards my CGC collection has certainly dropped of late. My last CGC purchase did not even register - I took one look at it, and tossed it in the box... On the other hand, I got a few choice raw books in, and I was stoked top open the packages, so my collecting bug is still in high gear.

I do not think this has anything to do with Ewert, pressing or other CGC scandals for me personally, and I think the fad finally wore off and I have absolutely no inner need to amass more plastic slabs. confused-smiley-013.gif

When did buying CGC books ever bring a twinkle to your eye!?!? I must've missed the board that day... 27_laughing.gif

My best purchases over the last few months have been slabbed 9.0/9.2's, 4 of which I cracked out of the cases yesterday and are now fit snugly into the ultimate storage vehicle - 2-mil mylar with fullback. If you like accurately graded high-grade books, you have two choices - buy from me, or buy slabbed! sumo.gif

I've never owned more then a half dozen slabbed books at one time. I've always collected low to mid grade golden age. I lost interest in CGC as trustworthy organization when they and Heritage came up with The Nicholas Cage Collection as a marketing ploy to squeeze every last penny out of a book and with all the facts that have been coming out lately along with CGC's lack of transparency I'm even more dubious of their contributions to the hobby. But, I'm not their target consumer anyway, so I'm sure what I think doesn't matter to them. I feel they've hi-jacked the hobby with all thier pressing and ethical lapses and have hurt it.

My best purchases over the last few months have been slabbed 9.0/9.2's, 4 of which I cracked out of the cases yesterday and are now fit snugly into the ultimate storage vehicle - 2-mil mylar with fullback. If you like accurately graded high-grade books, you have two choices - buy from me, or buy slabbed! sumo.gif

A man after my own heart . Buy 8.5 / 9.0 slabs , crack the slab and put it in your " normal " collection in Mylites 2 with full backs .

Anyone else feeling the same? It used to be that there would be some excitement about killer books for sale, and people posting their grails,etc. Now that type of conversation is (probably rightly so) virtually dead. Lately, the boards also seem rather sedate, and the number of posts must have dropped significantly, as I came on here last night and there was virtually nothing new.

I am far from a CGC acolyte, but my view towards my CGC collection has certainly dropped of late. My last CGC purchase did not even register - I took one look at it, and tossed it in the box... On the other hand, I got a few choice raw books in, and I was stoked top open the packages, so my collecting bug is still in high gear.

I do not think this has anything to do with Ewert, pressing or other CGC scandals for me personally, and I think the fad finally wore off and I have absolutely no inner need to amass more plastic slabs. confused-smiley-013.gif

Couldn't agree more sumo.gif893applaud-thumb.gif but unfortunately, it is difficult to realize full value on the sale of high grade books raw. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

My main problem with CGC and the way the hobby had been headed in terms of "Investment Collecting" is that it seemed to artificially inflate the market and attract a lot of get rich quick types who didn't really care about the history and the artist and the stories and the unique nature of this american art form born of the depression and the second world war.I love looking at threads on these board by people like Skybolt with his love of GGA covers and Nearmint showing his Nedors and action and showing their passion. I love talking to the oldtimers like Robert Beerbohm who always have time to chat about comics even if you're only spending a hundred bucks.I want to feel and smell the comics I collect, I don't need for it to be a status symbol and I don't care if people think it's childish for me to collect comics. A lot of the people I know are so obsessed with how much money they have that they didn't accept my comic collection untill they learned what they were worth. Before that they equated collecting comic to collecting beanie babies.I always get a kick out of people who gain notoriety because they have a great collection and the artist and writers and the comics themselves get scant attention.CGC and the big dealers have sucked the joy out of this hobby. That's how I feel.

It is really hard to get excited about a comics, you can not feel or smell. Yes, I said it SMELL!!!! Comics, like old books are one of the most pleasant olphactory experiences you will ever experience. A slabbed book, well it does not have the same appeal. Do I crack a slab? Yep, that I will do. Do I own uncrack slabs? Yep. Can't make myself break my pedigrees out of slab. I try to buy raw when I can.

Always good to see another sniffer out there! thumbsup2.gif

The first thing I do is take a quick look at the cover. The second thing I do is open the book and take a couple of sniffs. If it passes these initial tests I will look further. And always end with a sniff, especially with a book you decide to add to your collection. It IS a heady thing!