• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is there a quick and dirty way to learn to be a restorer

39 posts in this topic

post34un.jpg

I was going to start another thread to post the book, but because FFB asked smile.gif

The book still needs some touchups.I made the pic a little smaller, so the screen isn't stretched.

I use Blick Artists Acrylics. When DickBlick had a sale I was able to purchase every color in the line.

Psiknight - sorry, didn't even realize it smile.gif

Oh and never trim ever for any reason.

I just don't get this one. Why not? What is wrong with a little trim off the side if the side is frayed or chipped? This is of course assuming that you would disclose it if you ever want to sell it. But I see absolutely nothing wrong with improving the edge of a book with a light trim if that's what you want. As a buyer, I don't mind it either, assuming that it is disclosed and the value is adjusted accordingly. To me it is similar to a tape seal on the spine or a filled in corner. No biggie.

It is against the code of ethics of the American Institute of Conservation. You are not allowed to deface or damage or obliterate a portion of an artifact in order to improve its aesthetic appearance. The only time you are supposed to remove a portion of an artifact by cutting it away or through other means is if there is something wrong with it that threatens the health of the rest of the artifact.

But the point is, what in the heck do I care what the American Institute of Conversation has to say? Sure, let them decide how to protect the Declaration Of Independance and The Mona Lisa, but I will do with my comics what I choose, and I will buy what I choose regardless of what some institution has to say about what was done to the book. Geez. I don't care what those guys have to say. Doesn't alter my views one bit.

Thanks again. There is a lot of information in this thread that I will continue to investigating. One day, when I get deeper into this I realize that my first tries will look like poor. But I believe that I have real potential to develop. My advantage is I have a steady hand and a good eye. I have the potential to become a good restorer but as so many of you have pointed out, I have a huge amount to learn.

I am getting just what I hoped to here, and again, I invite the readers of this thread to continue sending helpful information.

I just don't get this one. Why not? What is wrong with a little trim off the side if the side is frayed or chipped? This is of course assuming that you would disclose it if you ever want to sell it. But I see absolutely nothing wrong with improving the edge of a book with a light trim if that's what you want. As a buyer, I don't mind it either, assuming that it is disclosed and the value is adjusted accordingly. To me it is similar to a tape seal on the spine or a filled in corner. No biggie.

It is against the code of ethics of the American Institute of Conservation. You are not allowed to deface or damage or obliterate a portion of an artifact in order to improve its aesthetic appearance. The only time you are supposed to remove a portion of an artifact by cutting it away or through other means is if there is something wrong with it that threatens the health of the rest of the artifact.

But the point is, what in the heck do I care what the American Institute of Conversation has to say? Sure, let them decide how to protect the Declaration Of Independance and The Mona Lisa, but I will do with my comics what I choose, and I will buy what I choose regardless of what some institution has to say about what was done to the book. Geez. I don't care what those guys have to say. Doesn't alter my views one bit.

I think that's the view that trimmers take. Most people don't agree. No one can stop you from trimming your books or buying books that are trimmed if trimming doesn't bother you. But most people frown on it.

That's a nice looking book. 893applaud-thumb.gif Out of curiosity, how come the top edge of the cover is short? Did it shrink when you washed it? What all did you do to the book? And finally, did you make a "before" scan?

I think that's the view that trimmers take. Most people don't agree. No one can stop you from trimming your books or buying books that are trimmed if trimming doesn't bother you. But most people frown on it.

First off, I am not a "trimmer" so there is no reason why I should feel as I do other than personal taste. I never have and I'd never bother with having a book trimmed personally. I'm not against it, just not inclined to bother with it as I am not super picky about the grades of my books anyway (8.0 or 9.0, who cares?). But I am definitely interested in buying trimmed books if I can get them at 30-40% untrimmed FMV in 9.2 or less. I realize that most people frown on it. I imagine that at least some of that is because trimming is usually associated with deception. Puts a bad taste in people's mouths. I see a mostly unnoticable trim as the most minor form of resto (besides pressing) as the book literally could have been cut that way anyway (visually at least) and many have. Put a lightly trimmed book side by side with an untrimmed duplicate and try to guess which one has the trim. Not easy unless you try to find it. To me, CT is worse as you have foreign paint on the book, or worse yet is a tear seal or spine reinforcement. That work may have been done to repair a flaw, but nevertheless, those repaired flaws (to me) carry alot more impact on the makeup of the book than a light trim. However, I'll buy any restored book if the price is right. The peace of mind in having an untouched book is not worth it to me to pay three times for it than a nicely restored counterpart.

post34un.jpg

I was going to start another thread to post the book, but because FFB asked smile.gif

The book still needs some touchups.I made the pic a little smaller, so the screen isn't stretched.

I use Blick Artists Acrylics. When DickBlick had a sale I was able to purchase every color in the line.

Psiknight - sorry, didn't even realize it smile.gif

Was this book bought with the trimmed cover?

First off, I am not a "trimmer" so there is no reason why I should feel as I do other than personal taste. I never have and I'd never bother with having a book trimmed personally. I'm not against it, just not inclined to bother with it as I am not super picky about the grades of my books anyway (8.0 or 9.0, who cares?). But I am definitely interested in buying trimmed books if I can get them at 30-40% untrimmed FMV in 9.2 or less. I realize that most people frown on it. I imagine that at least some of that is because trimming is usually associated with deception. Puts a bad taste in people's mouths. I see a mostly unnoticable trim as the most minor form of resto (besides pressing) as the book literally could have been cut that way anyway (visually at least) and many have. Put a lightly trimmed book side by side with an untrimmed duplicate and try to guess which one has the trim. Not easy unless you try to find it. To me, CT is worse as you have foreign paint on the book, or worse yet is a tear seal or spine reinforcement. That work may have been done to repair a flaw, but nevertheless, those repaired flaws (to me) carry alot more impact on the makeup of the book than a light trim. However, I'll buy any restored book if the price is right. The peace of mind in having an untouched book is not worth it to me to pay three times for it than a nicely restored counterpart.

I don't disagree with you but there is triming and there is trimming...

Trimming a grossly long slightly torn over hanging cover is protecting the rest of the cover from harm as those tear will get longer and longer. That is where the ethics thing is stupid many comics from the 60's came with over cut covers but not all. Those over long covers only if damaged and the rest of the book should be trimmed to the height of the books interior pages. I have seen hundreds of otherwise perfect books with 3/8" or more overhang the was bent and chewed up from normal handling. These were never intended to be this way yet people think this is "original"

Now trimming a book with a slight less than 1/8" over hang to make it look better or worse trimming the entire books height to make it square is simply wrong. Your altering the total comics intended height

The cover was NOT trimmed, before or after. Regardless of how others feel, I don't believe in it. When reassembling the book, I just missed a little on the allignment and will fix that sometime. There is some hangover on the bottom of the book. And looking at it now, the cover might have shrunk a little when washed as FFB suggested.

The cover was NOT trimmed, before or after. Regardless of how others feel, I don't believe in it. When reassembling the book, I just missed a little on the allignment and will fix that sometime. There is some hangover on the bottom of the book. And looking at it now, the cover might have shrunk a little when washed as FFB suggested.

Now I see the bottom right corner is overhanging.

Still a beautiful job do you any before scans?

Psiknight, from my point of view the book is beautiful. Are the Blick acrylics liquid or in a tube? Could you point out the areas that you repainted? They are undetectable.

I'm guessing these questions are for me.

beforeflash5dj.jpg

There are nine before pics from the person I bought the book from. Not the best, but they're what I have. I *should* scan the book before i start working, but im superstitous and worry that taking before pics with expectations of great after pics will jinx me. I'll get over that for the next book. Anyway, The Blick Artist's Acrylics come liquid in tubes and in different sizes. I picked up 45 different colors in the 2 oz tubes to see what colors I use more often and which work. You'll find that you go through some colors more often than others. In addition I have 2 oz jars of liquitex acrylic artist color in "parchment", "soft white", and "unbleached titanium" which when mixed can produce different shades of paper (which I, for instance, used on the back cover near the spine and bottom right corner).

The red circles will give you an idea of the areas of where the book is color touched. mind you, These don't indicate solid blocks of acyrlic, but color touch in spots where it needed it. The bottom portion of the spine was split and ripped up and had to be repaired. There was a bad crease down the middle of the book. After a washing relaxed the fibers and the book pressed flat, color touch to the 'S' in flash needed to be done as well as color touch to the chest of the bad guy where a red stain was and in the hill area where the letter 'K' was stamped. I definately could have left the 'K' where it was, but as a personal preference removed it as best I could and color touched. Probably the happiest I was with the book was the top yellow portion of the title banner. It had to be retouched at the edges and spine, and touching up light colors is NOT easy. I was able to mix the correct amounts of Raw Sienna, Chromium Oxide Green, Unbleached Titanium, and Cadmium Yellow Medium to match it correctly. It took several attempts.

Graphite was removed from the back of the cover where a kid filled in some of the letters, but not much touchup was done to the back cover other than near the spine and bottom right.

The spine was reinforced and the interiors were cleaned and repaired where needed. After being cleaned, the interior page quality wasn't bad at all. I had done some experimenting with interior lightening, but decided not to perform it on this book and would be leary to perform it at all.

I was happy with the work overall and probably the only mistake was the alignment of the cover when putting the book back together. Now I'm going to relax because when I'm in the process of restoring a book, literally ALL of my free time goes into it.

Also - I didn't mean to hijack your thread Ron, but feel free to PM me with any questions you may have about the work, I would love to swap techniques and exchange information/answer any questions. I couldn't have even gotten started without the vast amount of info on these boards!

Vjscipior, thanks for generously sharing your work with me (us) and volunteering to trade information. Seeing your work, I know that I have little information to trade.

I will be asking you for some information outside the thread.

One thing that I would love to know, which I think might be of general interest, is how did you fix the spine? It looked as rotten as a six-week old peach. Is it just a matter of glueing in a strip of rice paper? If so, why doesn't the rice paper bulge out on the outside of the cover? I hear that there is a type of liquid that when dry looks and acts like paper. It is used to "fill in". Does this exist? If so, what is it called? Did you use it on the spine?

And a comment to all of you on this thread: I really didn't expect all this information to be contributed. My deepest thanks. My possible entry into the field of restoration is a full two and a half years away. I will be printing out the information you are giving me and putting it into a binder. I will continue to research the subject.

And another question to Vjscipior, how did you learn your craft?

Vjscipior, thanks for generously sharing your work with me (us) and volunteering to trade information. Seeing your work, I know that I have little information to trade.

I will be asking you for some information outside the thread.

One thing that I would love to know, which I think might be of general interest, is how did you fix the spine? It looked as rotten as a six-week old peach. Is it just a matter of glueing in a strip of rice paper? If so, why doesn't the rice paper bulge out on the outside of the cover? I hear that there is a type of liquid that when dry looks and acts like paper. It is used to "fill in". Does this exist? If so, what is it called? Did you use it on the spine?

If sounds to me like you are talking about "leaf forming" or "leaf casting." Here's an article on how it works:

Leaf Casting on a Suction Table

I just want all who have contributed to know that I have printed out all your comments and printed out several of the references that you people have pushed me towards. I have a far greater idea of the scope of my endeavor now and I will continue to make decisions about my future in restoration. Thanks for all the help.