• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comixology Unlimited vs Hoopla

7 posts in this topic

So, thinking about getting a Comixology Unlimited subscription for my (adult) son for Christmas, and I was looking for some insights from people who have tried it. He reads a lot of digital stuff thru the library system on Hoopla(hoopladigital.com) , and I was wondering whether it would be worth it to get this.

Any thoughts from someone who has tried both would be appreciated.

On 12/12/2021 at 9:31 PM, bronze_rules said:

Hoopla is free but way more limited.

Yeah, I was wondering what sort of thing might be easier to get with the subscription - I mean are there particular kinds of things you find missing on Hoopla that are on Comixology, or just in general?

On 12/12/2021 at 7:33 PM, ttfitz said:

Yeah, I was wondering what sort of thing might be easier to get with the subscription - I mean are there particular kinds of things you find missing on Hoopla that are on Comixology, or just in general?

Me personally. I find a small amount of free modern things on hoopla that I like (lots of Vampirella, Creepy, and general Boom Dynamite). Some (very limited) modern Marvel and DC. It's really useful, for people with modern interests, IMO.

Comixology has entire suites of Marvel Bronze to modern and Masterworks. Like if I wanted to read all of Spider-Man I'd go to Comixology or Marvel Unlmiited and not hoopla, but I'd have to pay.

I really don't use much of either these days. There was a really good deal on Marvel Masterworks last year on kindle (Amazon). Titles were from 1 to 3 dollars. I picked up almost the entire available library of Marvel Masterworks up to late bronze age, which is my sweet spot. I read them on IPAD Pro and don't have to worry about paying for ongoing use. .You can keep your eye out for a similar value. Or you could even get Marvel Unlimited subscription for pay. DC is limited on any platform from my experience. This recent black friday, the deal was on epics (like 3.99 per title) - people argue that it's a great deal.

So, I'd say if your son is a modern titles fan, go for hoopla (free but limited on Marvel, DC though). Otherwise, maybe Comixology or Marvel Unlimited for older and more complete Marvel and DC. You can often get a free comixology subscription and look around.

Edited by bronze_rules

On 12/12/2021 at 11:00 PM, bronze_rules said:

So, I'd say if your son is a modern titles fan, go for hoopla (limited on Marvel, DC though). Otherwise, maybe Comixology for Marvel and DC. You can often get a free comixology subscription and look around.

Thanks, all that was very helpful. I know he's done a lot of DC reading, starting from Crisis, so I'm also considering the DC Universe sub service, too.

On 12/12/2021 at 11:00 PM, bronze_rules said:

Me personally. I find a small amount of free modern things on hoopla that I like (lots of Vampirella, Creepy, and general Boom Dynamite). Some (very limited) modern Marvel and DC. It's really useful, for people with modern interests, IMO.

Comixology has entire suites of Marvel Bronze to modern and Masterworks. Like if I wanted to read all of Spider-Man I'd go to Comixology or Marvel Unlmiited and not hoopla, but I'd have to pay.

I really don't use much of either these days. There was a really good deal on Marvel Masterworks last year on kindle (Amazon). Titles were from 1 to 3 dollars. I picked up almost the entire available library of Marvel Masterworks up to late bronze age, which is my sweet spot. I read them on IPAD Pro and don't have to worry about paying for ongoing use. .You can keep your eye out for a similar value. Or you could even get Marvel Unlimited subscription for pay. DC is limited on any platform from my experience. This recent black friday, the deal was on epics (like 3.99 per title) - people argue that it's a great deal.

So, I'd say if your son is a modern titles fan, go for hoopla (free but limited on Marvel, DC though). Otherwise, maybe Comixology or Marvel Unlimited for older and more complete Marvel and DC. You can often get a free comixology subscription and look around.

The entire ASM run is on sale for 2 dollars a piece.  You could get all of it for 45 bucks today

https://m.comixology.com/Amazing-Spider-Man-1963-1998/comics-series/4277?ref=Y29taWMvdmlldy9kZXNrdG9wL2JyZWFkY3J1bWJz&irgwc=1&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=IR&utm_campaign=Slickdeals_LLC-10451&tid=IR-affiliate-10451&clickid=2Zb0sNwNyxyIT5AWtbVr33S2UkGz%3ADxMER58zM0

On 12/14/2021 at 4:31 AM, Wolverinex said:

I was going to mention (glad you did). That is exactly the kind of deal I was referring to. Wouldn't be surprised to see the rest follow. This is how you get the entire library of masterworks for a song.