• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why doesn’t CGC recognize 1st appearance…..
2 2

52 posts in this topic

On 12/14/2021 at 7:07 PM, Ninjawerks said:

But yeah ….I guess notating the 1st appearances of a character who just received their own monthly book which has 385K in orders is just bananas 🍌 

🤣🤣🤣

Key words there...

Also, I'm now taking wagers on the orders for issue #10. The over/under is 77,000 and the under pays practically nothing.

On 12/14/2021 at 7:07 PM, Ninjawerks said:

Web of Spider-Man 86 marks the first appearance of Demogoblin (yes a 3rd rate goblin) and has no problem notating his appearance for a character who was relevant in the late 80s.

That's quite an accomplishment for a character who debuted in 1992. No wonder they note his first appearance!

On 12/14/2021 at 11:09 PM, Lazyboy said:

Key words there...

Also, I'm now taking wagers on the orders for issue #10. The over/under is 77,000 and the under pays practically nothing.

That's quite an accomplishment for a character who debuted in 1992. No wonder they note his first appearance!

And the fact he made it into a video game by '94 isn't a small feat either

I do agree that it should be noted. 

I went through this process for a book (from the 80's) that had a different variant that was never noted on the census and needed to be broken out. It (the book) took several trips to CGC, all of  which included typed out description, pictures, and history of the issue. The first trip they just threw all of that paperwork out and labeled it as they always do.. Took calling them and sending back through ME(Mechanical Error) and adding what I could to the description of the issue on the ME form and talking to the rep to get it even looked at again. Still no change.  Third trip and giving a lot of push back as well as again providing all of the information again, but this time they had me talk with the grader. Finally it was fixed and broken out. 

Sometimes you have to be persistent.  Good luck. 

Also right now may be harder as at this point you are lucky if they even know which way to place a book in the holder.. spawn-upside-down-1.thumb.jpg.c49c565ebc75e7b6b8ddaba017a35bfd.jpg.63ab3c58e89f1058c1b2ffc80c098e86.jpg

On 12/14/2021 at 9:38 PM, PovertyRow said:

That is bizarre. How does being a grader automatically put them in a position to make a decision like that? 

Are you kidding? Being a grader is the ultimate position. If not them, then who?

On 12/15/2021 at 1:09 AM, Lazyboy said:

Key words there...

I stand corrected lol. Yes it was in 1992🤣 my apologies.

On 12/13/2021 at 11:55 PM, Ninjawerks said:

Might be a stupid question so forgive me, but why doesn’t CGC recognize certain 1st appearances? For example Spawn 119 is regarded as the 1st Cameo of Gunslinger Spawn while issue 174 is regarded as the 1st full appearance.

However it’s not indicated on any of the labels? Why is that?

Man, there is way worse than that. 

One of the biggest keys of the entirety of Valiant is Solar 10. It has not one but two first appearances. Yet, none of what makes it a key is listed on the label. Been that way for 20 years.

Anyways, there is no answer to your question, they just do whatever they want, which can also be wrong. They also write the wrong creator names too.