• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Print # of comic

5 posts in this topic

Hi all, newbie here. When I submit a comic book for grading is there an option to state what Print it is(1st, 2nd, etc). Once i select the comic i want i can't change anything. Just curious if they put the print # on the label or not 

Edited by midnitegsr

My understanding is that CGC will note the printing of the issue automatically if it is not a 1st printing, and that does appear on the label.  You shouldn't have to specifically tell them.

Edited by Axelrod

On 12/17/2021 at 9:36 AM, _I_I_ said:

They will if it's not a first print. You can find this info in the small print (called the indicia) inside the comic. This is a third print. A first print won't always say first print either.

joe63smfindicia.jpg

Usually, anyway. Some indie titles, in particular, require more arcane methods. And then there's Classics Illustrated, where none save poets and madmen dare tread.

But anyway, check the indicia first. If it's not a first print, note that as the variant when submitting. CGC should catch those but it never hurts to give them a hand.

On 12/17/2021 at 5:27 PM, Qalyar said:

And then there's Classics Illustrated, where none save poets and madmen dare tread.

For the CIs CGC will list either "Original Edition" (aka the 1st printing) or the HRN. HRN is the Highest Reorder Number, gotten from the list of current at the time issues printed usually on the back cover or an inside cover.

For example, CI #1 Three Musketeers was originally published in 1941. A 1969 reprint has an HRN of 166 and that will be noted on the CGC label. But as Qalyar indicated above, it is not always so straightforward.

On 12/18/2021 at 7:09 PM, PovertyRow said:

For the CIs CGC will list either "Original Edition" (aka the 1st printing) or the HRN. HRN is the Highest Reorder Number, gotten from the list of current at the time issues printed usually on the back cover or an inside cover.

For example, CI #1 Three Musketeers was originally published in 1941. A 1969 reprint has an HRN of 166 and that will be noted on the CGC label. But as Qalyar indicated above, it is not always so straightforward.

Especially if you try to figure out just what options exist. :)