• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Probably Not The Mile High Action Comics 1 But Allegedly Some Random Raw Sells Privately for $4.5 Million - Potentially...Allegedly
8 8

137 posts in this topic

On 12/19/2021 at 3:02 PM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Allentown Tec 27? 9.4 ish?

Don’t know, I’m just recalling a conversation on the boards from years ago that was attributed to S. Borock about the action #1 that he personally gave the once over I believe to confirm that it was restored free. Of course this is all hearsay but it the closet we got to confirmation of a grade. 

On 12/19/2021 at 1:15 PM, topofthetotem said:

Don’t know, I’m just recalling a conversation on the boards from years ago that was attributed to S. Borock about the action #1 that he personally gave the once over I believe to confirm that it was restored free. Of course this is all hearsay but it the closet we got to confirmation of a grade. 

AllenTown Cap #1 is 9.8, W, OW/W?

We don't have a picture posted anywhere right, no hi res scan on the CGC homepage? :wishluck:

I know I am going off topic here.

On 12/19/2021 at 10:26 PM, Aman619 said:

this is so sad and silly.  All these online "advisers" or "people in the know" who know nothing, and spouting pure nonsense based on a rumor or a mistake.  (this guy has a wall full of books in average grade of 3.0, and actually does have an 8.0 -- but its just a Dr Strange #1... a wall book!?  really?)  Anyone here on the boards knows for decades that the owner of the MH Action 1 would never be selling.. AND, never for so little as 4.5M.  Theres a misunderstanding here.  What really happened is some kind of twisted combination of First Superman comic, Ungraded or slabbed that sold privately recently.  In todays market, 4.5M for the best copy of Action 1 is not only silly to believe, but insulting to the comic, its owner and all of us who follow this hobby closely.

If an ungraded Action 1 just sold for 4.5M, it wasn't the MH copy.
If a slabbed Action 1 just sold, it wasn't a 9.4 nor the MH copy, which is raw.
If some first Superman comic just sold for 4.5M slabbed or not, it was either a lower grade unknown copy, or some other comic book instead in whatever grade it was

Only problem is that nobody who knows what really sold, or who leaked this "news" to Key Collector has come forward with either what they heard and reported, or the real facts.  And after 3 days it doesn't appear anyone will come forward.

The ebb and flow of information these days vs. speed and inaccuracy is just baffling to me.  I didn't dig really too far but I'm sure there are other similar vlogs/postings claiming the sale as such. 

On 12/19/2021 at 1:50 PM, Readcomix said:

maybe OP could edit here as well to reflect?

On 12/19/2021 at 5:16 PM, Randall Dowling said:

I feel like the OP should edit and correct the title of this thread since it's obviously incorrect.

+3000

On 12/19/2021 at 4:58 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

So a private sale happens simply to put Action 1 above Spidey?

Action 1 has, and always will be more valuable than Spidey. If the highest graded copy of Action 1 were to sell at the same time as the Spidey, it would obviously do more. I'm of the opinion that the Allentown Tec 27 would be the most valuable comic ever sold if it ever hit the market. The thing is, like a lot of other boardies have already stated... these books won't be sold any time in the foreseeable future.

On 12/19/2021 at 7:26 PM, Aman619 said:

this is so sad and silly.  All these online "advisers" or "people in the know" who know nothing, and spouting pure nonsense based on a rumor or a mistake.  (this guy has a wall full of books in average grade of 3.0, and actually does have an 8.0 -- but its just a Dr Strange #1... a wall book!?  really?)  Anyone here on the boards knows for decades that the owner of the MH Action 1 would never be selling.. AND, never for so little as 4.5M.  Theres a misunderstanding here.  What really happened is some kind of twisted combination of First Superman comic, Ungraded or slabbed that sold privately recently.  In todays market, 4.5M for the best copy of Action 1 is not only silly to believe, but insulting to the comic, its owner and all of us who follow this hobby closely.

If an ungraded Action 1 just sold for 4.5M, it wasn't the MH copy.
If a slabbed Action 1 just sold, it wasn't a 9.4 nor the MH copy, which is raw.
If some first Superman comic just sold for 4.5M slabbed or not, it was either a lower grade unknown copy, or some other comic book instead in whatever grade it was

Only problem is that nobody who knows what really sold, or who leaked this "news" to Key Collector has come forward with either what they heard and reported, or the real facts.  And after 3 days it doesn't appear anyone will come forward.

I stopped watching that video when I noticed his Conan 1 was a 6.0.:flamethrower:

On 12/19/2021 at 9:26 PM, Aman619 said:

In todays market, 4.5M for the best copy of Action 1 is not only silly to believe, but insulting to the comic, its owner and all of us who follow this hobby closely.

There's a lot of :censored: in the hobby right now that's insulting to anyone with a brain. This is just another example.