• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New, first questions.

4 posts in this topic

Hey everyone

This is my very first post, I want to start off by saying hello, I’ve watched YouTube, searched online and now going to search through forums for information. 

I own 1 single comic. I like to pick up more in time after I learn some but I bought this specific one for a reason this leads to my questions.

I bought a 2020 Darth Vader #5. I don’t feel it’s anything special. I’m a Star Wars fan and built a couple prop sabers with proffie boards that light up and make sound. The #5 is an issue with the cover split like Batman’s two face with anakin and Vader. I hope to put the comic on my wall and put an anakin inspired and Vader inspired saber on each side.

I was hoping to get my comic graded for some added detail for my wall art but I’m terrified about a low grade. It’s not so much about the money. I’d just like my first grade experience to be a good one.

I picked this comic up on eBay. I paid $18 for it. Comparing it to all the YouTube videos. I’m not sure it will receive a good grade. It has this odd spot at the bottom I’ll say it’s a printing defect? And this random spot kinda in the space section. And the spine has the whiteish line down it that seems to be somewhat normal. I’m happy to post pictures.

can anyone give me some advice? Should I not be scared and just do it? Should try to find another comic to satisfy my first grade experience that I’m hoping for?

any help advice would be appreciated

thanks -Phil

Welcome To The Boards.

You need to post the book in the "https://boards.cgccomics.com/forum/42-hey-buddy-can-you-spare-a-grade/" section.

Take quality pics of the front cover, edges/corners/spine, rear cover and centerfold, also, there are two different covers for this book, which do you have?

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?q=darth+vader+5&pubid=&PubRng=

If you are only interested in displaying the book you can purchase UV protected comic book frames, if the book is being displayed in a room with windows you need UV protection which CGC cases do not provide.

https://www.bcwsupplies.com/comic-book-showcase-current-uv

Also, I do not have my books graded, but from everything I have read you could be waiting a year to get your book back from CGC.

G1-Marvel Comics #1000 Variant Covers-Framed.jpg

Thank you for the reply. 

I’ll take pics and check out that section for sure. Thank you. 

my cover is the red and blue one. Half Vader’s face and half anakins face with the red going into blue saber blade.

I have no real reason to grade it besides it being fun. I’ll check out the cases only. Yours looks awesome! Really exactly what I want.

im ok with waiting. I have a form 1 SBR that I waited 13 months for and a couple silencers that I waited 11-12 months for. Waiting sucks but I manage it lol 

thank you very much for the reply. 

Due to the FMV of most modern books and the total cost of grading, most folks these days are only grading modern books if they are going to come back as a Blue Label NM/MT 9.8 and that is a total crapshoot, it may look perfect to you but...

When folks post books in the "Spare A Grade" section even with lots of great pics I will not assign a grade higher than NM 9.4 unless I have the book in front of me, even then, would I assign a grade of NM/MT 9.8... I would be afraid to open it, any little thing that happens during the books travels to, through and from CGC could make a 9.8 book a 9.6 or 9.4.

Comic books are for entertainment and to bring joy and happiness to the collector/reader, if all you are interested in is having the book in a CGC slab for display purposes regardless of the grade it gets then by all means, Go For It!!!