• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Crummy Year

27 posts in this topic

On 12/22/2021 at 3:05 PM, RBerman said:

it's not so much about their pants as about their fan base. Hundreds of thousands of folks a month were buying the comics, so it stands to reason there's a fair number of people with the money and interest to acquire the original pages even at a high cost. Leaving less opportunity for those of lesser means.

Well, sure. I just didn't find it unusual to have the opportunity to buy something. 

I have mentioned this before, but in my view, professional artists invariably do good work. Sometimes, a bit better than others, and sometimes, a particular page can be a standout. But in many cases, just different styles. 

On 12/22/2021 at 6:04 PM, Rick2you2 said:

particularly when this page by Mignola went for the same price:

Original Comic Art:Story Page, Mike Mignola and P. Craig Russell Phantom Stranger #3 Story Page 11 Original Art (DC, 1987).... 

That would be a pretty nice Phantom Stranger page to have.  It would've followed over 100 lots after the Carrillo pages.  This auction would've been a Phantom Stranger bonanza for the financially prepared.

I've always wondered how much the ordering factors into the auction.  As I mentioned above, HA closes lots in the sequence they're listed.  With ComicConnect and Hakes, the initial ordering of the lots doesn't matter that much.  Following each lot's nominal closing time, basically, a lot will close after a period of time has passed without a bid.

Edited by Will_K

On 12/22/2021 at 12:49 PM, NicoV said:

I only bought one page this year, but it was a piece I was eyeing since it was uploaded to 2DG by its owner, so I probably can't call this year a crummy year. I see less and less pages that I would like to buy AND would consider as having a chance of being the higher bidder.

One of the problems some might think is that my narrow specialty reduces my opportunities too much. Actually, he has made hundreds of appearances in all sorts of issues I just can't find. Be it by Delbo from WW, or an issue of Superboy, or Firestorm, to name a few. Years ago, I was more selective, and passed on some things I should have bought as I have never since seen another one with an appearance. Now, unless it is awful, I will buy it to fill a gap and wait until later for an improvement.

But, I have also picked up a few surprises, like thiis one by Gene Colan (possibly his only published drawing of the character, as he was a cameo here).

ColanSpectreI2p19.thumb.jpg.cc7351573eac30f8ce7261d1e6d42eab.jpg

On 12/22/2021 at 6:17 PM, Will_K said:

That would be a pretty nice Phantom Stranger page to have.  It would've followed over 100 lots after the Carrillo pages.  This auction would've been a Phantom Stranger bonanza for the financially prepared.

I've always wondered how much the ordering factors into the auction.  As I mentioned above, HA closes lots in the sequence they're listed.  With ComicConnect and Hakes, the initial ordering of the lots doesn't matter that much.  Following each lot's nominal closing time, basically, a lot will close after a period of time has passed without a bid.

I came close to bidding, but decided to hold my fire. I don't know why, but this stuff seems to come in groups. Nothing for 4-6 months, and then bamm, 3-4 worth buying. 

Some things coming, I hope. I really don't want to get more commissions (aside from one more I am owed).

On 12/22/2021 at 6:07 PM, Will_K said:

The previous piece in the same auction was Phantom Stranger 39 p 7.  It went for less than the piece that you mentioned (about $1,500).  It even features part of Deadman's origin and PS doesn't even appear.  Go figure.

ps39p7.jpg

I also think this is a better piece of art, by the way.

The only reason I can figure is that a character in its own book is considered more valuable (all things being equal) than a guest appearance.

Personally, I like guest appearances. It lets me acquire a version of the character by an artist that is different. That's why I don't have stacks of Jim Aparo art in my collection. I have his take on PS. Let's see what else is out there. 

On 12/22/2021 at 6:04 PM, Rick2you2 said:

He was competent; no question about it. Redondo, I would grab in a minute or less, and now have a pretty good Talaoc. No Nino, however, no known images of PS.

And, I do have one of Fred's pieces, but this, in my opinion isn't worth it, particularly when this page by Mignola went for the same price:

Original Comic Art:Story Page, Mike Mignola and P. Craig Russell Phantom Stranger #3 Story Page 11 Original Art (DC, 1987).... 

I think that Mignola only did break downs and that it’s mostly a P Craig Russell page softened it a bit. Also it tends to help when the main character is in multiple panels not just one (but this panel is so pretty that might not apply here). I bought an true full pencilled by Mignola page with multiple strong panels of Stranger just a few months ago for about 800 from this run. This HA page all things considered seems right price wise.

On 12/27/2021 at 12:02 PM, zhamlau said:

I think that Mignola only did break downs and that it’s mostly a P Craig Russell page softened it a bit. Also it tends to help when the main character is in multiple panels not just one (but this panel is so pretty that might not apply here). I bought an true full pencilled by Mignola page with multiple strong panels of Stranger just a few months ago for about 800 from this run. This HA page all things considered seems right price wise.

You are on-target about Mignola’s involvement. Prices have been running unpredictably higher, I think, but I felt it was still on the high end. Still, compared to the Carillo piece, it was a bargain. The one you bought sounds like even a better bargain.