• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL Cornfield Library lounge area thread. Off topic posts are allowed!
15 15

40,335 posts in this topic

On 4/12/2022 at 9:23 AM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

This account of an early Antarctic expedition cites Dr. Fredrick A. Cook, ship’s surgeon of the Belgica, a Belgian ship captained by Adrien de Gerlache, which sailed from Antwerp in 1897: “If it’s possible to imagine a piece of beef, odiferous cod fish and a canvas-backed duck roasted together in a pot, with blood and cod-liver oil for sauce, the illustration would be complete.”

Another account, of the 1902-1904 Scottish Naval Antarctic Expedition aboard the Scotia, gave a more optimistic mention of penguin meat: “Once the unusual taste of penguin meat had become familiar, it proved to be a great favourite: fried and stewed, or as a basis for soup and curry.”

Overall, though, penguin doesn’t seem to have caught on in the least with those not on Antarctic expeditions. 

^^

I've got to admit, that first description does not sound very nice to me. Would I try it? Probably, just to say I have. Would I eat a meal of it? No. 

All the penguins here can rest peacefully tonight (there are zero penguins in my area, excluding zoos and such). 

On 4/12/2022 at 2:20 PM, Senormac said:

Argentinian penguin farmers are preparing to feed the world !!  You just watch  :shiftyeyes:

Oh, now Argentinean penguin. That's totally different. That's a delicacy known internationally as 'la pamba'. Man I could go for some of that right now. 

On 4/11/2022 at 9:23 PM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

Oh, now Argentinean penguin. That's totally different. That's a delicacy known internationally as 'la pamba'. Man I could go for some of that right now. 

A delicacy of near unmatched proportions.  Something about all the pampas grass in their diet,  y'know? :popcorn:

On 4/12/2022 at 2:43 PM, Senormac said:

A delicacy of near unmatched proportions.  Something about all the pampas grass in their diet,  y'know? :popcorn:

Absolutely the pampas grass. That's what makes them so flavourful. I also believe the annual granparp berry season adds a lot to their taste, too. It'd what adds that slightly smoky after-taste to the meat we all enjoy so much. 

On 4/11/2022 at 9:46 PM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

Absolutely the pampas grass. That's what makes them so flavourful. I also believe the annual granparp berry season adds a lot to their taste, too. It'd what adds that slightly smoky after-taste to the meat we all enjoy so much. 

I see you know your Argentinian penguins.  And your store of South American berry lore is admirable too. 

On 4/12/2022 at 2:58 PM, Senormac said:

I see you know your Argentinian penguins.  And your store of South American berry lore is admirable too. 

Thank you. I have been called a connoisseur. 

No wait, that was another c-word they call me.