• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL Cornfield Library lounge area thread. Off topic posts are allowed!
16 16

40,415 posts in this topic

On 7/19/2022 at 9:00 PM, jaybuck43 said:

Depending on the state, it’s battery or assault. Technically all you need is an “unwanted touching”, so if you didn’t ask for the candy and it “touched” you, it’s assault. One of the cases that’s famous is the cigarette smoke case where someone stood up and blew smoke on another person purposefully. He was charged and convicted of assault, because the smoke “touched” him. 

O and it’s the US, anything is a  tortious action lol 

I wonder if shouting at someone is "assault" since the sound waves were directed at and physically contacted the unwilling person's eardrums.

And if so, then is talking to someone who doesn't want to hear you also "assault"?

On 7/19/2022 at 8:52 PM, jcjames said:

I wonder if shouting at someone is "assault" since the sound waves were directed at and physically contacted the unwilling person's eardrums.

And if so, then is talking to someone who doesn't want to hear you also "assault"?

shouting threats yes.

There was a case where plaintiffs tried to sue for 'assault' based on bad smell-their argument was that molecules were hittin their nose but court said nope.
@jaybuck43

On 7/20/2022 at 1:52 PM, jcjames said:

The Mormons would be out of business. 

On 7/19/2022 at 8:56 PM, jcjames said:

No. Making sounds intended to touch my eardrums against my will. 

If I remember correctly yes in some cases-because a yell in the ear hurts.

On 7/19/2022 at 8:56 PM, jcjames said:

No. Making sounds intended to touch my eardrums against my will. 

you can sue if someone purposely hears something you didnt want 'em to hear-

On 7/19/2022 at 9:55 PM, kav said:

There was a case where plaintiffs tried to sue for 'assault' based on bad smell-their argument was that molecules were hittin their nose but court said nope.
@jaybuck43

Emitting body odor/smell is not intended or as easily controlled or stop as yelling or talking is. 

On 7/19/2022 at 8:58 PM, jcjames said:

Emitting body odor/smell is not intended or as easily controlled or stop as yelling or talking is. 

This was a case of chemical odors comin from neighbor.

On 7/19/2022 at 9:02 PM, jcjames said:

Or just talking 

Screenshot_2017-02-21-10-48-25-1.thumb.png.5a4c7b24cbb225f72758a493096f12b8.png

I always yell at dumb things in movies and no on appreciates it  :pullhair: