• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL Cornfield Library lounge area thread. Off topic posts are allowed!
15 15

40,384 posts in this topic

It took me quite some time to get involved in social media. I do remember the beginning of social media, such as Friendster and MySpace, but I stayed away as I thought these were only for kids. Then Facebook became popular, but I stayed away because I read horror stories about teachers getting in trouble for things that were posted. Next came Twitter (now known as X), and I stayed away because I didn't think it was necessary for everyone in the world to know what I was doing at any given time. Then came Instagram, and I stayed away from that for a while. I then learned that you could buy and sell comics on IG, so I dipped my toe into the water. I now use Instagram for two main reasons: 1) to buy and sell comics, and 2) to post pictures of my comics, our family, and our vacations. Before you could say "Jack Robinson," SnapChat and TikTok came along. I stayed away because I was getting all I needed from IG.

About a week or so ago, I noticed this new window that would show up on IG called Threads. Threads is now the Meta version of Twitter. I figured that it wouldn't hurt to take a look. I enjoyed reading other people's posts, but I soon noticed that were a significant number of posts whose sole purpose was to bash Caitlin Clark. I'm from Iowa, and my wife and I have watched her since the middle of her sophomore year, so, yes, I am a fan of Caitlin Clark. Many people were upset about a variety of things about her; there are too may for me to address here. Most of my time was spent responding to the people who were criticizing her.

But today, a user made a post about her employer not knowing that today was Juneteenth. In fact, the employer made the comment, "Shouldn't it be on a Monday like a lot of other holidays?" The poster went on to relate how upset this made her. I then made a comment where I said, "I don't think it is unreasonable for someone to be unaware that Juneteenth had to be on a specific day, like the Fourth of July. We have multiple holidays that have been moved to a Monday so that federal workers can have a three-day weekend."

My comment brought about a firestorm of criticism. I was insensitive, I was a racist, and on and on. It got so bad that I just deleted my Threads account, and I have no intention of ever using that service again. In fact, I'm even considering leaving IG, because I don't want to have that type of experience ever again.

I have a very simple saying that I try to live by: "If that's the worst thing that happens to me today, then I've had a pretty good day." I also live by this saying, "At my age, I'm lucky if I can remember what I had for breakfast today." I didn't remember off the top of my head that today was Juneteenth. In fact, I had to stop and think before I could remember what day of the week it was. When you are not working, that is more common than you might think.

I think that too many people go around in life looking for things to get upset about. I posted what I thought was an innocuous statement, and people came at me like a bunch of rabid dogs. If this is going to be the future of discourse in our country, it is indeed a sad day.

I just thought I would share my experience with you, if for no other reason than to warn you about what might happen to you if you start using Threads. I tried to make this non-political, but I don't know if I was successful in that regard. I guess I will find out soon enough.

Edited by Math Teacher