• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL Cornfield Library lounge area thread. Off topic posts are allowed!
15 15

40,385 posts in this topic

On 2/23/2022 at 9:06 PM, 1950's war comics said:

i loved pinball back in the day ! grew up on 3 games for a quarter... the hardest pinball game i ever played was "fireball" it had the tiny flippers and the spinner in the middle 

back in the 70's us guys from the neighborhood knew a trick to get  2 free games for a penny on Bally machines !!

how you did it was to slowly drop a nickel into the coin slot until finally after awhile it would stick, then you added two pennies ! the second penny would click and gave 2 free games, then you hit the coin return and you got 6 cents back !!

also we used to hammer out pennies to the size of a quarter and those would work too ! but that took a lot of hammering and it almost wasn't worth it , 

my buddy was a pinball wizard and i learned all his tricks , we used to run up machines to their maximum 25 free games and sell the machine to someone for a dollar !  a dollar was a lot of money back then you could get two packs of Marlboro's for that !

on some of the machines back in the day if the ball was heading towards the drain at the correct angle you merely needed to raise the correct flipper and it would hit the bottom near the slot and bounce back into play !

my buddy had the biggest speaker magnet you could find back then and it was strong enough to trap the ball on the Fireball machine and after waiting for the free game light to go on you could use the magnet and move the ball up to and drop it into the the free game spot !

i always checked the coin returns when i was a kid and you would be surprised how many people walked away with wuarters in the change return ! one time it was so full i almost couldn't push the cover in to get at them , probably was $2.75 in the slot that time ....

my favorite arcade had one of the photo booths that took a strip of four B & W photos and developed them right there while you waited , some of the greatest poses ever as often you didn't know when the photo was going to be taken even though they had a green light that was the indicator.. i wish they still had one of those around, the do have a digital photo booths but those are not the same...

Me too.  I started playing after bowling leagues when I was probably 10?  3 games for a quarter for a while, or one for a dime.  I posted about this elsewhere, but they built a mall south of the bowling alley and they had a great arcade.  Pinball Wizard, featuring Elton John from "Tommy."  I loved that machine and learned to kick it's a** after a while. I went with my mom once to a store called "Ba'zaar" and the one machine they had there was stuck on "extra ball."  I played for an hour for free while she shopped.  Eventually as arcade video games grew in popularity, they build an arcade across the street from my high school.  I'm sure I've spent thousands and thousands of dollars on them over the past 50 years.

Edited by MattTheDuck

On 2/24/2022 at 2:47 PM, MattTheDuck said:

Um, what happened to the spider-woman? @Mecha_Fantastic

Is she no longer showing up? I haven't done anything with the post. 

On 2/23/2022 at 11:24 PM, Mecha_Fantastic said:
On 2/23/2022 at 10:47 PM, MattTheDuck said:

Um, what happened to the spider-woman? @Mecha_Fantastic

Is she no longer showing up? I haven't done anything with the post. 

tumblr_mffowjdQAa1rmjc1po1_500.gif.9c4e7d27ce06ed193ccc5f13768ee0ab.gif