• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL Cornfield Library lounge area thread. Off topic posts are allowed!
16 16

40,402 posts in this topic

On 2/24/2022 at 3:22 PM, 1950's war comics said:

thanks he needed that for that Smothers Brothers gaffe

got a real monkey on my back now.

On 2/24/2022 at 6:11 PM, kav said:
On 2/24/2022 at 5:22 PM, 1950's war comics said:

he needed that for that Smothers Brothers gaffe

got a real monkey on my back now.

What's that? Giraffes and monkeys?

This place is a zoo! If you want it we can get it from a 7-11!!  :banana:

Odessa Catacombs

The Odessa Catacombs are a labyrinth-like network of tunnels (subterranean cavities) located under the city of Odessa and its outskirts in Ukraine, that are mostly (over 90%) the result of stone mining, particularly coquina

The Catacombs are on three levels and reach a depth of 60 metres (200 ft) below sea level. It is one of the world's largest urban labyrinths, running up to 2,500 kilometres (1,600 mi)

NS5wbmc.png

Picture%204(1).png

The maps of the Odessa Catacombs look like some fractal Borgesian nightmare, like something an obsessive compulsive Dungeons and Dragons player might draw. Like the fractal branching in the lungs, these tunnels can occupy twenty five hundred kilometers of space, because they nearly defy the idea of size, they just fold back in on themselves, in ever smaller paths.

Mi5wbmc.png

I never really grasped how big 2,500 kilometers of tunnel really is. Even as I noted that 2,500 kilometers is more than the distance from Odessa to Paris, that barely made sense, how can all that distance be contained in a network of tunnels under a single city? It didn’t really sink in… not until I saw the maps.

Inside the Odessa catacombs

Unlike the catacombs of Paris and Rome, the Odessa catacombs were never used to bury the dead.
With more than 2,000 kilometers (1,243 miles) of tunnels, this underground city is so vast and complicated -- there are at least 1,000 known entrances -- that tourists are advised not to enter without a qualified guide.

On 2/24/2022 at 4:30 PM, 1950's war comics said:

Odessa Catacombs

The Odessa Catacombs are a labyrinth-like network of tunnels (subterranean cavities) located under the city of Odessa and its outskirts in Ukraine, that are mostly (over 90%) the result of stone mining, particularly coquina

The Catacombs are on three levels and reach a depth of 60 metres (200 ft) below sea level. It is one of the world's largest urban labyrinths, running up to 2,500 kilometres (1,600 mi)

NS5wbmc.png

way :signofftopic: