• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1 1

4 posts in this topic

On 12/25/2021 at 10:50 PM, skrilla1212 said:

Reading between the lines, you seem to be wondering if having comic book characters appear in television shows or movies increases the value of the OA pages that feature those characters. It works with comic books, but what about art? aI'm glad you asked. That's something I've wondered, too.

When the CW launched Green Arrow, Flash, Black Lightning, etc. etc., art prices on those characters didn't seem to budge an inch. On the Marvel side of the equation, tv programs featuring the Agents of Shield and (more recently) Hawkeye, Loki and Co. didn't create much of a bump for those characters, either.

Walking Dead pages and covers saw some increased prices, I think, and Preacher artwork had a short before-broadcast run-up in prices. Invincible and The Boys? Not sure.  What about Y: The Last Man? I heard, but can't verify, that prices grew a little before the first episode aired. Now that the show has disappointed, did prices drop again? Or go lower, since another show/movie based on the property is at least a decade away?

Mostly, I'm guessing that well-known comic book characters aren't helped much by an appearance on the screen. The Logan flick didn't sell many new Wolverine art pages, for example. The properties that didn't have a wide exposure, on the other hand, increased their audience because of this new appearance in a more popular medium. Reading about or seeing a new show or movie increased the number of people interested in the property, which included OA collectors, who then bought a few pieces and temporarily boosted the cost of some pages. Or so I surmise.

I wish I could offer some solid numbers to go with this speculation. When someone posts, ".", it's a cry for help and the community needs to roll up its sleeves and try to answer that cry. Maybe someone else can provide the hard data we both would enjoy seeing.