• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE MARVELS starring Brie Larson, Iman Vellani and Teyonna Parris (2023)
9 9

3,126 posts in this topic

On 2/25/2023 at 9:52 AM, Artboy99 said:

now I can't unsee that when I look at that movie poster.

The poster gives away the plot - these 3 keep switching bodies and ultimately form a formidable wooden totem pole anchored by none other than the wooden goddess herself Brie Larson...

She'd be perfect as Groot.

On 2/28/2023 at 4:22 PM, Bosco685 said:

:(

Breaking news! Another sky-is-falling anti-woke YouTuber with a British accent proclaims all things Captain Marvel suck! At least it’s refreshing to know that these guys can still get thousands of money-making views off riling up the mob against Ms. Larson.

This Mr H dude says he read that this person said that the ever-reliable Grace Randolph heard that The Marvels tested poorly in test screenings and might need reshoots, thus the actual conspiratorial reason for the release date change. Well, I read on Reddit that some person said that ViewerAnon, who may or may not be as reliable as anybody else when it comes to this drivel, says The Marvels is testing fine. The fact is nobody really knows how the The Marvels story stacks up. Marvel Studios test screens their films internally to avoid leaks. Kevin Feige has said that The Marvels was pushed back to give the VFX team  more time. This fits with the current narrative that said VFX teams have complained about short cuts and lack of time. It also fits with Feige and Disney’s own statements about quality over quantity and giving individual projects a chance to really stand out.

This Mr. H guy also says the move to November 10th is a dead zone for movie releases. No it’s not. I noted previously that November 10th is a 3 day weekend and that Friday is Veterans Day observed. There’s zero competition in the following weeks into Thanksgiving. As opposed to its previous crowded summer slot, November 10th is a better spot, giving The Marvels a better chance to stand out amongst a calendar of much less hyped fall releases. 

Marvel Studios has just put The Marvels in a much better position to succeed, because you can bet Marvel needs Captain Marvel 2: The Marvels to succeed. 

Edited by @therealsilvermane

On 3/1/2023 at 12:18 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

There’s zero competition in the following weeks into Thanksgiving. As opposed to its previous crowded summer slot, November 10th is a better spot, giving The Marvels a better chance to stand out amongst a calendar of much less hyped fall releases. 

?

Not sure why you think there's zero competition in November.

According to the current calendar, The Marvels is sandwiched in between two potential juggernauts, dropping the week after Dune 2 and the week before the Hunger Games prequel.

Also - kids will be back in school, vastly limiting potential repeat viewings it may have had during the summer.

As I've noted previously, there's *zero* way to spin the move from July to November positively.

Edited by Gatsby77

On 3/1/2023 at 1:07 PM, Gatsby77 said:

?

Not sure why you think there's zero competition in November.

According to the current calendar, The Marvels is sandwiched in between two potential juggernauts, dropping the week after Dune 2 and the week before the Hunger Games prequel.

Also - kids will be back in school, vastly limiting potential repeat viewings it may have had during the summer.

As I've noted previously, there's *zero* way to spin the move from July to November positively.

I counted Hunger Games the Prequel as zero competition, and The Marvel’s premiere the week after Dune 2 actually spells trouble for that one. That is not a juggernaut sandwich. The Marvels, 2023’s final MCU film, will be the juggernaut of that trio. 

Kids are practically back in school the first week of August anyway, so that doesn’t matter, just as it didn’t matter to Black Panther or Captain Marvel 1, who both premiered out of summer. 

It’s pretty easy to spin The Marvels’ move to Veterans Day weekend. It’s a better spot for a MCU movie and gives the Studio more time to make the film better after a growing narrative that MCU films need to be better.

On 3/1/2023 at 1:31 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

I counted Hunger Games the Prequel as zero competition, and The Marvel’s premiere the week after Dune 2 actually spells trouble for that one. That is not a juggernaut sandwich. The Marvels, 2023’s final MCU film, will be the juggernaut of that trio. 

Kids are practically back in school the first week of August anyway, so that doesn’t matter, just as it didn’t matter to Black Panther or Captain Marvel 1, who both premiered out of summer. 

It’s pretty easy to spin The Marvels’ move to Veterans Day weekend. It’s a better spot for a MCU movie and gives the Studio more time to make the film better after a growing narrative that MCU films need to be better.

I don’t see the Dune crowd and the Marvels crowd mixing. 

Breaking news! Another sky-is-falling anti-woke YouTuber with a British accent proclaims all things Captain Marvel suck! At least it’s refreshing to know that these guys can still get thousands of money-making views off riling up the mob against Ms. Larson.

This Mr H dude says he read that this person said that the ever-reliable Grace Randolph heard that The Marvels tested poorly in test screenings and might need reshoots, thus the actual conspiratorial reason for the release date change. Well, I read on Reddit that some person said that ViewerAnon, who may or may not be as reliable as anybody else when it comes to this drivel, says The Marvels is testing fine. The fact is nobody really knows how the The Marvels story stacks up. Marvel Studios test screens their films internally to avoid leaks. Kevin Feige has said that The Marvels was pushed back to give the VFX team  more time. This fits with the current narrative that said VFX teams have complained about short cuts and lack of time. It also fits with Feige and Disney’s own statements about quality over quantity and giving individual projects a chance to really stand out.

This Mr. H guy also says the move to November 10th is a dead zone for movie releases. No it’s not. I noted previously that November 10th is a 3 day weekend and that Friday is Veterans Day observed. There’s zero competition in the following weeks into Thanksgiving. As opposed to its previous crowded summer slot, November 10th is a better spot, giving The Marvels a better chance to stand out amongst a calendar of much less hyped fall releases. 

Marvel Studios has just put The Marvels in a much better position to succeed, because you can bet Marvel needs Captain Marvel 2: The Marvels to succeed. 

It is interesting how subject-matter experts and recognized industry reporters have less credibility once they say something not overly positive about the MCU.

So the British accent comment - isn't that not socially acceptable nowadays because you are speaking down to someone not "American-sounding enough"? Sure sounds like it. What next - "Oh, he's a man - they're horrible"?

Edited by Bosco685

It has been widely acknowledged that The Marvels has had at least 3 rounds of reshoots, and has now been moved for the 5th time.  It is very likely, and being reported, that it getting yet another round of reshoots and again tested poorly. It does not matter if the test was for Disney people only, it is still a showing. Take Grace Randolph with a grain a salt, but she is a massive fan of Captian Marvel, and in general is a favorable reviewer for the MCU. She is cheering on this film, so what is her motivation to make this up?

Just because you do not like hearing it, does not mean it is not true. If a studio is confident they will not delay release.  Just thinking things through logically, with all the delays and reshoots, the movie is in trouble.  It does not mean it can not be saved, but if it was amazing it would have been out last summer as planned.

And again, just because they are not MCU and maybe not your thing, Dune and Hunger Games do have solid fan bases and are competition.  Dune will draw middle age men, and Hunger Games will draw women in their 20's and teen girls.  Granted, I think HG is going to bomb, but I think Dune will be solid. It is a harder date, because July truly had nothing around it.

Edited by drotto

On 3/1/2023 at 3:52 PM, Bosco685 said:

It is interesting how subject-matter experts and recognized industry reporters have less credibility once they say something not overly positive about the MCU.

So the British accent comment - isn't that not socially acceptable nowadays because you are speaking down to someone not "American-sounding enough"? Sure sounds like it. What next - "Oh, he's a man - they're horrible"?

Europeans are much more likely to agree with his ideologies, so it's quite telling how extreme he is if he's going after the Brits.

On 3/1/2023 at 12:52 PM, Bosco685 said:

Remember again, all good villains have a British accent :grin: