• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE MARVELS starring Brie Larson, Iman Vellani and Teyonna Parris (2023)
9 9

3,126 posts in this topic

On 11/15/2023 at 5:35 PM, Buzzetta said:

Please stop before someone feels that because James Cameron directed the film, that the iceberg was another example of female empowerment meant to emasculate the male represented Titanic.  

That would be ridiculous.  Everyone knows the  iceberg was symbolic of rampant racism. 

On 11/15/2023 at 5:35 PM, Buzzetta said:

Please stop before someone feels that because James Cameron directed the film, that the iceberg was another example of female empowerment meant to emasculate the male represented Titanic.  

Just so long as the Titanic is played by a white male, people will be cool with it.

Considering this is THE movie that flopped worse than ANY OTHER Marvel movie made in the last 15 years and this is THE movie that is changing the direction of the $155Billion ship, who own the most successful movie franchise in history, got them TO OPENLY ADMIT they messed up AND forced them to change their minds about previous planned concepts and AXE THEM, it's no wonder that it's a very big, detailed and vast discussion. 

This discussion wouldn't happen in any other thread for this reason.

So while Marvels is 'just' a movie, and some just want to discuss the move, Marvels is the movie that changed the entire industry for Disney. 

That's not small news. That's a case study for future generations. 

People can squawk and deflect all they want, but this movie is being discussed in detail across all of social media for these very reasons and the entire discussion on demographics, economics and target audiences is probably the most important movie discussion since the MCU started. 

But yeah, let's not discuss it. lol

Edited by VintageComics

On 11/15/2023 at 5:31 PM, CAHokie said:
On 11/15/2023 at 5:27 PM, 1950's war comics said:

ability to succinctly post

I have to disagree with this part.  Even if Roy types something true, it is rarely succinctly.  lol

I would have to agree with this. (worship)

On 11/15/2023 at 5:40 PM, Prince Namor said:

Still my favorite sequence of the whole conversation - separated miles apart in a wall of text:

"I LOVE Women"

"Let's the men converse. We know what we're talking about. lol"

Those were my favorite points as well. :luhv:

On 11/15/2023 at 5:43 PM, Prince Namor said:

It wasn't a compliment. 

I don't care. lol

I don't like what I like for others, I like it for me.

On 11/16/2023 at 5:38 AM, VintageComics said:

People can squawk and deflect all they want, but this movie is being discussed in detail across all of social media for these very reasons and the entire discussion on demographics, economics and target audiences is probably the most important movie discussion since the MCU started. 

Does that mean the Tide Pod challenge is important too?

On 11/15/2023 at 10:35 PM, N7 M31 said:

I had 16 posts in 6 years and now have 29 because of this thread.

What have I done :tonofbricks:

Possibly distracted by playing Mass Effect?

Andromeda’s the weakest game in the series.

The original trilogy’s my favourite RPG.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 11/15/2023 at 5:38 PM, VintageComics said:

Considering this is THE movie that flopped worse than ANY OTHER Marvel movie made in the last 15 years and this is THE movie that is changing the direction of the $155Billion ship, who own the most successful movie franchise in history, got them TO OPENLY ADMIT they messed up AND forced them to change their minds about previous planned concepts and AXE THEM, it's no wonder that it's a very big, detailed and vast discussion. 

This discussion wouldn't happen in any other thread for this reason.

So while Marvels is 'just' a movie, and some just want to discuss the move, Marvels is the movie that changed the entire industry for Disney. 

That's not small news. That's a case study for future generations. 

But yeah, let's not discuss it. lol

The only thing that has flopped so far is the opening weekend.  In 5 days its at $114 million.  I would not be surprised at all if when things finish, Eternals is still worse.  Especially since its budget was almost $100 million more.  

Billion dollar companies don't make knee jerk reactions. Iger did not wake up and read variety on Monday and start screaming "CUT FILMS, NO MORE WE'RE DONE".  This was a decision weeks/months in the making.