• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC vs PGX

54 posts in this topic

Well it seems PGX will start to note pressing when that can be determined 100% to be intentional. Sounds interesting. popcorn.gif

http://forum.stlcomics.com/viewtopic.php?t=2262&sid=af37d06743c3c94d9fa1934ff8a8e6ea

Sounds good. I liked what Daniel had to say in that post. thumbsup2.gif

They will probably start to get more of my business. My only concern is if the PGX books will sell for comparable prices as the CGC books. If they become relatively similar, then PGX will be the way to go, but I think they still have a ways to go until they get there. Of course the hard to find books will command similar prices, but my concern is with more common slabbed books.

Well it seems PGX will start to note pressing when that can be determined 100% to be intentional. Sounds interesting. popcorn.gif

http://forum.stlcomics.com/viewtopic.php?t=2262&sid=af37d06743c3c94d9fa1934ff8a8e6ea

Sounds good. I liked what Daniel had to say in that post. thumbsup2.gif

They will probably start to get more of my business. My only concern is if the PGX books will sell for comparable prices as the CGC books. If they become relatively similar, then PGX will be the way to go, but I think they still have a ways to go until they get there. Of course the hard to find books will command similar prices, but my concern is with more common slabbed books.

I would be more supportive if they better address the issues I made above. The pressing is a step in the right direction. But as of now I don't know if pressing is a real problem with PGX considering CGC tends to get far more of the higher dollar books. Not to mention the problem with detection.

I think if I was PGX I would,

First hire a known name for restoration detection.

Second, give a list of all PGX books submitted by Elliot/Leder.

Third, come clean about the doctored scan.

Forth, clean up their act on pg quality.

If PGX did this I think they would be true competition against CGC and the hobby would be a better place for it.

At least they didn't give us doctored photoshop scans when they missed the trimming. I've always been more than willing to discuss CGC's problems, unlike yourself with PGX. Since your a big collector of PGX why haven't you tried to track down Leder/Elliot books like CGC collectors have done with Ewert?

By the way this is what I mean with PGX's page quality problem. CGC has problems also but this has to be one of the worst cases I've ever seen. Would you grade that book a 9.0?

http://cgi.ebay.com/FANTASTIC-FOUR-28-PG...1QQcmdZViewItem

Or how the page quality on this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/FANTASTIC-FOUR-26-PG...1QQcmdZViewItem

How about making yourself more helpful to the hobby rather than just giving these "hit and run" type posts.

At least they didn't give us doctored photoshop scans when they missed the trimming. I've always been more than willing to discuss CGC's problems, unlike yourself with PGX. Since your a big collector of PGX why haven't you tried to track down Leder/Elliot books like CGC collectors have done with Ewert?

By the way this is what I mean with PGX's page quality problem. CGC has problems also but this has to be one of the worst cases I've ever seen. Would you grade that book a 9.0?

http://cgi.ebay.com/FANTASTIC-FOUR-28-PG...1QQcmdZViewItem

Or how the page quality on this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/FANTASTIC-FOUR-26-PG...1QQcmdZViewItem

How about making yourself more helpful to the hobby rather than just giving these "hit and run" type posts.

Rip,

The tanning on the cover doesn't mean that the interior pages are the same color. Cover stock is different from interior paper stock. I've seen lots of books with tanning like that on the cover where the interior pages are CR-OW.

The bigger issue here is the one you identified on the first book -- there is no way that a book with tanning like that should grade 9.0.

Supapimp. Nice TOS #49 too bad its missing something on the right edge.

I think you just gave yourself away there Mr. Trimming Expert! poke2.gif

thumbsup2.gif I just thought cover page quality would be factored into the overall page quality. Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought a book like that should be "tan to off-white"?

No, the page color refers to interior page quality. Otherwise, every book with a sun shadow or dust shadow or interior cover tanning would be no better than "Tan to __________" page quality.

It seems to be common for anyone with a vast collection of comics that have been graded by CGC to claim that CGC is better. They are biased. Just as someone prefers Pepsi over Coke, will probably say Pepsi is better.

It seems to be common for anyone with a vast collection of comics that have been graded by CGC to claim that CGC is better. They are biased. Just as someone prefers Pepsi over Coke, will probably say Pepsi is better.

Well, the fact that CGC books consistently outsell PGX is reason enough to say they are "better" for most collectors/sellers. From my own experience, I feel that PGX has a nicer holder and they have much better prices (obviously). I have felt their page quality is very suspect (I saw a Donald Duck book that came back with WHITE pages when it clearly had cream-to-offwhite or simply offwhite at best).

CGC has (presumably) better facilities, better restoration checkers (Ewert books aside) and they are more well known.

*shrug* CGC is Coke and PGX is the Supermarket brand: They taste nearly the same but one is clearly more popular than the other.

thumbsup2.gif I just thought cover page quality would be factored into the overall page quality. Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought a book like that should be "tan to off-white"?

No, the page color refers to interior page quality. Otherwise, every book with a sun shadow or dust shadow or interior cover tanning would be no better than "Tan to __________" page quality.

I think they only refer to the interior page quality because you can't see it.