• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Justice #2 (spoilers)

10 posts in this topic

So far so good with Mr. Ross's project. I had a shiver seeing Bainiac with a scalpel posed over Aquaman. Not looking good for him!

Especially liked Riddler running into the Batcave nightclub too - and not putting 2 and 2 together on Batman and Bruce Wayne at Wayne Enterprises! 27_laughing.gif

I've always loved Alex Ross's art. He always has a great take on whatever character he's doing. This is shaping up to be a great mini-series. It seems to spend out of the Infinite Crisis storylines that are going on right now but that's no big deal. I don't know if that's a true connection or not. I agree, it was pretty spooky to see Brainiac standing with that scapel and the fact that the Riddler got the beat down from the gothic Batman fans was great. The only complaint I have so far is this: Why is it Aquaman is almost always the first to be captured/beaten by the villians? I mean, King of Atlantis aside, the guy shouldn't be whipped by everyone in the DCU!

Whitefish...Urm...I mean Aquaman hasn't been written and drawn well for a long time. Hard to take him seriously. It is really sad. It's like Plastic Man. Plastic Man is considered a running joke in DC continuity. Aside from powers or lack thereof, Aquaman just doesn't get the job done. They should ditch the tights, get him some clothes that make sense and start writing stories about a guy, whose home is threatened from within and without. Hell, just make the title a mature readers and drop it vertigo. That would get some better writers for the him.

Whitefish...Urm...I mean Aquaman hasn't been written and drawn well for a long time. Hard to take him seriously. It is really sad. It's like Plastic Man. Plastic Man is considered a running joke in DC continuity.

But Plastic Man is SUPPOSED to be funny. I mean, they hired Kyle Baker to write and draw his exploits...

But it always wasn't that way. I have been going through it and it comes down to the fact they need comic relief, they go to Plastic Man. Don't get me wrong, I seriously like Kyle's Plastic Man. Mainly, due to the fact he pokes serious fun at DC continuity. With that said, he gets cancelled in the next issue or so. I am not saying that Plastic Man should get the "Dark Knight Returns" treatment but should limit the comic writing to a few off hand quips here and there. Now back to the question of Aquaman. I guess, if you were to take all of the DC heroes who could get bushwhacked easily, again Aquaman comes to mind. Bats would see these guys coming a mile away and even if caught, would find a way out. Supes and WW, not in a cold day in Heck. GL and Flash...same thing. Plus, Aquaman wouldn't necessarily be missed by the others(at least not quickly, anyway). I mean the guy hangs out in the sea. Most of the other DC heroes wouldn't go looking unless they needed him.

I have been reading through my Police Comics and Plastic Man from quality and they don't seem all that humorous to me. The covers do have a humorous/fantastic element to them though. Either way, most GA superhero stories had some humour to them. At least what I have read, anyway. I don't propose to be an expert. I just know, that Plas was at least a serious enough superhero to merit 102 Police Comics and 64 Plastic Man issues. It was when DC took him over in the sixties that his characterization went to heck.

Sorry for going off topic.

Yeah, but Aquaman has never been written, at least as far as I can tell, to his true potential. Now, there was a time when they did make him a bit tougher and he could take over other marine animals minds rather than just "talk" to them. And this guy should be pretty strong not only cause, well he swims every damn day, but that he lives at the bottom of the ocean where the pressure is massive. he should definitely have super strength. No it wouldn't be in the class of Superman, but definitely on up there beyond athletic. I mean he has to have a denser bone structure and musculature than a normal human. I liked him best in Justice League: Year One when he was always whispering because sound travels differently underwater. And what about that magic water hand thing? And lets face it, he's been at the game just as long as most of the JLA, he's not that naive any longer. Come on..Just saying they should have him putting up more of a fight.

Yes, most definitely, Aquaman is and really never has been written to the level he should be. I have been watching Teen Titans, yes I am a grown man, and the way the portray Aqualad as more of a water controlling type, makes him more of a creditable threat. I think, they need to approach Aquaman with that sort of look. Heck, they could even have him pulling water controlling stunts like Magneto, such as inducing massive hemorrages or knock someone out by allowing him to manipulate the water in their body. Of course, no one will write this particular superhero as lethal.

Yes, they have definitely dropped alot of Aquaman's powers. He had similar powers in the old 1967 series where he could make balls of water to throw at enemies and such. They also revisited this in the Smallville series recently where they had Aquaman make a water ball/bomb and knocked Clark out of the water, up about 20-30 feet into the air, and on to the distant shore... Now that's power! And yeah, they've played it up well with Aqualad/Tempest on the Teen Titans (yep, I watch the show too, ain't nothing wrong with that! 27_laughing.gif) Just wish they would translate it into the comics more. And it that would make Aquaman a much more interesting character if he could mess up his enemies by pulling the water out of them or making in move in the wrong direction in the body. Make him much more formidable that they have him now.