• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please help grade my Silver Surfer #6

14 posts in this topic

4.5-5.0

leaning towards the lower grade..with spine split, tears, creases, somewhat soiled

BC, etc.

Still, nice book! thumbsup2.gif

Ok MC mr-nice-guy-and-all take off the kid gloves sumo.gif

I know this kid probably loves this book to death 893applaud-thumb.gif but enough of the soft pedal grin.gif

3.0 Max! gossip.gif And that's if we've all got that "spring in our step" wink.gif

4.5-5.0

leaning towards the lower grade..with spine split, tears, creases, somewhat soiled

BC, etc.

Still, nice book! thumbsup2.gif

Ok MC mr-nice-guy-and-all take off the kid gloves sumo.gif

I know this kid probably loves this book to death 893applaud-thumb.gif but enough of the soft pedal grin.gif

3.0 Max! gossip.gif And that's if we've all got that "spring in our step" wink.gif

Ok, I can see the point of the 3.0 camp on this book....

I think it comes down to the definition of "minor" or "moderate" soiling; the rest of the book is consistent with the 4.0 range...

..and it's a book I don't have, so I still thinks it's nice... flowerred.gifhi.gif

Might sounds like a silly question (and I certainly wouldn't just do it without the know-how) but can you clean an old comic like this? It's condition isn't great, but I think it's really the soiling nature that's bringing it way down.

Is it unrealistic to think it might get a 5.0, but is coming out 4.0 or below because it's dirty?

Might sounds like a silly question (and I certainly wouldn't just do it without the know-how) but can you clean an old comic like this?

JP,

The short answer is yes. But it's like that old adage, "If you have to ask how much it costs, than you can't afford it." Dry-cleaning is a skill, and doing it wrong will cause greater harm than help. This book has a few edge tears that would be problematic to clean. There is also a lot of rich, dark cover inks which can also be problematic. People here will tell you otherwise, but it is ill-advised. The reference to Wonder bread was that it is often used to clean a book - I've never even tried it, so I can't attest to its success. If you still want to try, limit the cleaning to the back cover where there are few solid inks.

It's condition isn't great, but I think it's really the soiling nature that's bringing it way down. Is it unrealistic to think it might get a 5.0, but is coming out 4.0 or below because it's dirty?

Yes, It's unrealistic. We are grading the book's condition regardless of the soiling (but it is hard to ignore . . .) wink.gif