• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help Deciding on First (somewhat expensive) Purchase
6 6

77 posts in this topic

If you want 80’s nostalgia that will maintain or go up over the long haul I’d go with Transformers #1, G.I. Joe #1 or #21.

Since this is a display piece for you, I’d go with the #1’s. Both have great covers, are 1st appearances and are #1 issues. 

Edited by Timely

On 1/7/2022 at 4:52 PM, The bard said:

So, I am relatively new to comic collecting (been on and off for a long time, but never serious since he late 80s) and am contemplating purchasing a CGC of an iconic cover/issue to display in my office/geek cave.  I am not new to collecting or grading overall (I have a good sized graded baseball card collection).  I typically value the look of a 9.8 over an older lesser condition book, but could be convinced otherwise (although nostalgia plays a role here over investment potential, so think 80s+). 

What I am looking for is advice on which of the following to buy (or other ideas in the same price range) that is least likely to lose a lot of value (I am not looking for an investment, but don’t want to buy something that might be 30% less in 6 months). 
The list (all 9.8):

ASM 361

ASM 316

Incredible Hulk 340

Avengers 196

Pick your poison. :busy:

20211120_165243~2.jpg

On 1/9/2022 at 12:05 PM, William-James88 said:

Never inferred that. Just meant that right now you are not buying it at an all time high. So you might get burnt less than the rest.

This is kind of what I am looking for. I am not speculating and the chances of me selling anything in the next 5 years or so is near zero. What I don’t have (unlike is baseball) is historical knowledge of pricing. I know that all collectibles peaked early last year and have come down a ton since, but what I don’t know is which books may have jumped up recently from their (post 21) lows for some reason and are likely to pull back again. 

On 1/9/2022 at 12:20 PM, The bard said:

This is kind of what I am looking for. I am not speculating and the chances of me selling anything in the next 5 years or so is near zero. What I don’t have (unlike is baseball) is historical knowledge of pricing. I know that all collectibles peaked early last year and have come down a ton since, but what I don’t know is which books may have jumped up recently from their (post 21) lows for some reason and are likely to pull back again. 

comics.gpanalysis.com

You might also consider some type of Original Art from a favorite series suitably framed. Those tend to be one of a kind.

This one was a bit expensive at $62,000 but it’s interesting in that it was an unused ASM 361 cover.

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FSEARCH.ASP%3FPreviewCode%3D2021feb%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Dbagley%26GO%3DGO%26ItemType%3DCA%23Item_1459747&id=1459747&itemType=1

On 1/9/2022 at 12:20 PM, The bard said:

What I’ve found is that if you buy something and hold it for a long time, you’ll usually be alright if you ever decide to sell.  Any of the books you listed will, IMO, go up in value (or at least maintain) if you’re planning on keeping it for 10 years.  Buy the one that you’ll enjoy looking at the most (since you say you want to display it).

On 1/7/2022 at 4:52 PM, The bard said:

So, I am relatively new to comic collecting (been on and off for a long time, but never serious since he late 80s) and am contemplating purchasing a CGC of an iconic cover/issue to display in my office/geek cave.  I am not new to collecting or grading overall (I have a good sized graded baseball card collection).  I typically value the look of a 9.8 over an older lesser condition book, but could be convinced otherwise (although nostalgia plays a role here over investment potential, so think 80s+). 

What I am looking for is advice on which of the following to buy (or other ideas in the same price range) that is least likely to lose a lot of value (I am not looking for an investment, but don’t want to buy something that might be 30% less in 6 months). 
The list (all 9.8):

ASM 361

ASM 316

Incredible Hulk 340

Avengers 196

Being that the 340 is the most expensive at around $1400, you could choose not to choose and buy all 4 in 9.6 (thumbsu

Why not buy something that's actually valuable or at least has a track record of slow, incremental growth? I bought an HOS 92, a Bat 251 and Bat 232. And so forth.

There has to be Marvel counterparts. Books that don't go ***POOF*** in the night. Or books that we don't have to sweat every day. An Iron Man 1? An FF 112? That thing is fire right now. ASM 121? 129? I can't see where a collector could go wrong with those books.

Stan Lee once said that the Golden Age books are the ones that are actually valuable. The ones to be proud to be a custodian of. I think we are at the point the same can be now said of late silver/early bronze. A lot happened then.