• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

3rd Annual Grading Contest Round 1 (Results are In)
11 11

221 posts in this topic

Rules (like how to send me your answers) are here 

First Prize is this G1 Beauty donated by @SNiPER

Second Prize (which might be split depending on how many end up tieing for first or second) is $25 in your paypal account donated by @grendelbo

Round 1 will consist of the following comics (copy paste this when sending me your guesses)

Whiz Comics 78

Master Comics 76

Brave and the Bold 200

Edited by William-James88

Here are the images of the books. These images were taken before the books were sent out for pressing/cleaning and grading.

Whiz Comics 78

2082259565_whizcomics78.thumb.jpg.3d732d5270b3309ad84da0a58d1a267e.jpg

2056119521_whizcomics78b.thumb.jpg.11c7855c630aab6d49ca4e8385a3091e.jpg

Master Comics 76 Printing pleat on bottom right of cover

master comics 76 01.jpg

master comics 76 02.jpg

Brave and the Bold 200 What you see in the back bottom edge is not a stain but shadow caused by creasing. It's like someone scribbled on a a piece of paper and this book was under it.

brave and the bold 200 01.jpg

brave and the bold 200 02.jpg

Whiz Comics 78

Grade purchased as: 8.0 from fellow boardie

My thoughts: fully agreed

CGC Grade: 9.0

Pressing candidate: Good

image.thumb.png.0885a29b6358199d6b8356d5ca9924c8.png

Master Comics 76

Grade purchased as: 8.0 from Heritage

My thoughts: really pushing it

CGC Grade: 9.0

Pressing candidate: Great

image.thumb.png.caf4a7778a4c661a82af138aeb9f436a.png

Brave and the Bold 200

No grade given, purchased locally

CGC Grade: 9.8

Pressing candidate: Excellent (non colour breaking creases are the best pressable defects to really increase a grade since they can fully disappear)

image.thumb.png.f43f2788d7a0c8eb10b0eef8c6baf532.png

On 1/10/2022 at 3:26 PM, William-James88 said:

Second Prize (which might be split depending on how many end up tieing for first or second) is $25 in your paypal account donated by grendelbo.

Good thinking. There could be a tie. Need some scratch for kibble.

New cat to feed, you know?

20220110_063535.thumb.jpg.089833c063e2393c5ffa28d35d0defc7.jpg

The responses have been coming in nicely. Still lots to come in, but still time to do so (until tomorrow night).

In the interest of being fair I will not give any comment on my reactions to the grades given so far other than the fact that I am very much looking forward to the discussion, as the grades are very varied. I am curious to see what we get when I average them out, so I will share that too when all is said and done and we will see if our collective knowledge and skills matches with the CGC grade (like a hive mind thing).

I will say this though, so far no one has gotten all three correct.

On 1/12/2022 at 6:57 PM, WilliamLunt said:

Playing along at home. I assume posting guesses in the general chat would be bad form. 

Is there a redacted/spoiler text option?

You can post your guesses here, I have no issue with it. The point is to have a fun discussion and better understand CGC's grading system. And also figure out what is and is not a good pressing candidate.

I've been conversing with a few contestants and I just want to make it clear that these books have been sent for pressing before grading. So it adds an extra wrinkle over Point Five's contest of last year where not only will we get to see CGC's standards but also what is a good pressing candidate or not.

I will post the answers Friday evening and when I do I will let you know what I bought the older books as and from where, what I felt about the grade, and if it turned out to be a good pressing candidate.

On 1/13/2022 at 12:27 PM, William-James88 said:

I've been conversing with a few contestants and I just want to make it clear that these books have been sent for pressing before grading. So it adds an extra wrinkle over Point Five's contest of last year where not only will we get to see CGC's standards but also what is a good pressing candidate or not.

I will post the answers Friday evening and when I do I will let you know what I bought the older books as and from where, what I felt about the grade, and if it turned out to be a good pressing candidate.

Looking forward to seeing those results. (thumbsu I picked up quite a few decent books last year, and am awaiting for the backlog of submissions to clear. Then I can narrow down my list and send in the books that I would like to see encapsulated.