• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The first appearance of Pac-Man in comics

13 posts in this topic

'Amy, tend to the Widow Pac-Man.' 

Edited by Mecha_Fantastic

On 1/11/2022 at 7:45 AM, Lord Gemini said:

According to Key Collector, this is his first cover appearance at least.

pac-man.jpg

If Mad Magazine is qualified, issue #233 is from September 1982 - while the Mad House #130 is from October 1982.  On sale dates can vary, but I'd lean toward the Mad #233 since it's such a featured cover image.

MAD MAGAZINE SEPT 82 IRVING PAC(MAN), BRAWL GUY PARODY, NUCLEAR POWER,  LOBSTERS | eBay

Both of those are interesting but may fall short of official appearances .    I think those are along the lines of the artist and writer wanting to reference a popular game character without actually having the rights to use him.

On 1/11/2022 at 1:26 PM, Bronty said:

Both of those are interesting but may fall short of official appearances .    I think those are along the lines of the artist and writer wanting to reference a popular game character without actually having the rights to use him.

Yeah, those are parodies, not appearances.

On 1/11/2022 at 1:42 PM, HighRadArt said:

How about pokemon?  Seems like that would be a good first appearance to get as well?

The oldest CGC graded books/magazines/minibooks are: http://www.cgcdata.com/cgc/search/title/:pokemon:/desc/yes/label/all/orderby/year/variants/yes/

Since a lot of these have year (1998) but not month, it may be hard to know what was absolutely first in 1998.

Edited by valiantman