• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What makes a comic purchase a "good deal"

16 posts in this topic

if you could turn around and sell it for more than you paid, assuming we're not talking about really low value items

OR

if you got what you want for less than everywhere else you looked is selling it

Yeah I agree with both of you. Money is important and there is nothing like finding something you want on the cheap. I also agree when you receive something that is a better grade than was described.

For me, I try to find deals typically off EBAY (im not a big time collector) and when the grade comes in as described or better I am happy and think I got a good deal.

Also, it does happen when an auction slips under the radar and I win as the sole bidder. Rare but has happened.

Obviously, purchasing a comic way below guide constitutes a great deal, but what about more subtle things?

Share some of the great deals you have all found.

Any accurately graded VG to VF pre-1965 Marvel comic for half book or less!

(60% or less of book for hotter books like JIM 112 etc...)

cloud9.gif

Buying a book that is advertised as a xxxx and it comes in at that grade but very glossy with great color and great pq. Those books really knock your socks off.

I got a ToS 72 the other day from nochips and it was a great looking book but the gloss and the pq was incredible. I knew the book was going to be spot on grade wise, but the overall feel of the book was awesome.

A good deal to me is simply getting exactly what you expected to get/paid for.

If the book is in higher grade it is just icing on the cake! thumbsup2.gif

Also completing a transaction with a trusted dealer or friend, knowing even before you get the book(s) they will be accurately graded is always regarded as a good deal IMO.

Obviously, purchasing a comic way below guide constitutes a great deal, but what about more subtle things?

Share some of the great deals you have all found.

Any accurately graded VG to VF pre-1965 Marvel comic for half book or less!

(60% or less of book for hotter books like JIM 112 etc...)

cloud9.gif

But you've been selling these books to me at 60% off guide! Trying the old "I lose money on evey sale,but make it up with volume" routine again,eh? poke2.gif

Wow! That is a good deal! thumbsup2.gif

I think the best thing is when it arrives and it's higher than the stated grade.

My best example of this was when I paid $15 inc shipping for an Iron Man #3 stated as Fine- and when I got it, it was at least a 7.0.

So it's not that great a deal but I was pleased with it. grin.gif

Another "good deal" that isn't immediately apparent would be buying a book for a very low price and then having it rise dramatically in value. Much like my 9.6+ Tomb of Drac that I paid $4 for at least 15 years ago.

Great deals can be when a seller calls you after the last transaction offering you more books. Another is when somebody refers you to another great seller. Having a person call you out of the blue based on his friend liking the price you paid for his book (Hint, hint all you guys who think I don't pay enough).