• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brand new to collecting and grading.
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am brand new to collecting comics and I want to make sure to take great care of my collection over my lifetime, so they are left for my children and grandchildren. I plan to attend conventions as a way to enhance my collection but also get issues signed by writers or artists that worked on the comics. I have read that CGC must be on site to witness this happen in order for it to be eligible for their signature series. My first convention this year would be Indianapolis Comic Con and I cannot find any information on if CGC would be present to make sure that I do not hurt any comic I have by not having the proof of signature. Any information would be greatly appreciated on how to make sure I do not unintentionally damage my collection with rookie mistakes. Thank you for your time.

Edited by ImStroodle

On 1/16/2022 at 3:31 PM, ImStroodle said:

Hello,

I am brand new to collecting comics and I want to make sure to take great care of my collection over my lifetime, so they are left for my children and grandchildren. 

Welcome To The Boards.

The basics are...

Mylites and Acid Free Backing Boards stored in Comic Storage Boxes or Equivalent.

(These next steps also pertain to CGC graded books)...

Controlled Environment (no unfinished basements, attics or garages), Keep away from all sources of Heat and Moisture, Keep away from or minimize all UV light exposure, (CGC slabs are NOT UV protected.)

If you choose to you can insure your collection, no appraisals needed, you determine the amount of coverage.

https://collectinsure.com/

Most of all...HAVE FUN!!!

On 1/16/2022 at 12:31 PM, ImStroodle said:

Any information would be greatly appreciated on how to make sure I do not unintentionally damage my collection with rookie mistakes.

Here's a partial list of things that can/will damage a comic book over time: the paper itself (the acid & lignin in the inked paper will cause it to degrade with time), light (from the sun and most types of indoor lighting), moisture (floods, spills, atmospheric), dust and/or smoke, heat, insects (silverfish, termites, etc), rodents, cats (that prefer your book to a litter box), curious children, adults with dirty hands, natural body oils (fingerprints), careless handling (corner dings, thumb creases, etc), careless storage (stacking curl, stacking impressions, etc).

It's much easier to collect coins!  :preach:  lol

Edited by zzutak
Typo Fixed