• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Raw NM pricing

66 posts in this topic

FF, you know I agree with what you're saying, but here's my scenario:

10X Guide for a CGC 9.4 copy (front and back scans viewed - perfect centering and excellent color and gloss) versus the exact same raw issue (pretend the seller just ripped it out of the slab) at 10X Guide NM Raw.

Now I'm not big fan of CGC, but only the most naive would pay the same amount for the EXACT SAME issue out of the slab, as in. Liquidity of raw comics (sold by John Doe) is horrible compared to the ability to quickly blow off CGC graded comics if you need the cash ASAP.

That factor alone is worth more to me, though this doesn;t mean I wouldn't pay a premium for a raw copy. I'm not going to be selling my comics anytime soon, but you never know when that truck has your name on it, and it is nice to know that CGC copies are much easier to blow off, and at higher prices, than their raw equivalents.

If you'd rather pay $3K for a Raw NM+ as opposed to the same $3K for a CGC 9.6 (scans viewed and confirmed - I ALWAYS ask for CGC scans before bidding) then that's your right. I just don't agree with it, since I know it would be far easier to get that $3K by selling a CGC 9.6, rather than listing a "NM+" Raw comic on EBay.

Who is paying 10X guide for raw books? This whole thing works because of peoples greed. Its a human conditon to buy raw books dreaming you will get 9.6's and 9.8 and make out like a bandit. I'm just talking about buying to get books you want not this "flipping"thing. To me the sending in of books in hopes of getting ridiculously high grades (especially on common late 60's and up books) is just plain gambling. Its like when the Sportcard market fell in love with short printed insert cards. People would spend $20 for a pack of cards in hopes of getting that 1 in a 1000 insert card. Most of the time they got the shaft. I love high grade books. I've been collecting high grade silver/bronze since the late 80's. I always felt that true NM was worth multiples of VF but these spreads between CGC 9.4/9.6/9.8/9.9 are beyond any reasoning. A coin has limited surface and edges and luster to consider those maybe I can see the tiny differences that set apart the super high grades but with comics its not so easy. A comic has to be graded with aethetics and structural points to consider. I'm fine with knowing a book I buy is NM thats good enough for me. What I bought in the late 80's early 90's easily slab out between 9.2 to 9.6 thats good enough for me and I didnt have to pay anyone to tell me they were those grades nor spend the foolish cash thats being spent now.

>>Who is paying 10X guide for raw books?

Jgreen. grin.gif

Seriously, I do agree with what you're saying, and I'm only commenting on the original question of Raw NM vs. CGC NM and whether you, as a buyer, would be willing to pay equivalent prices for each.

I'm not, simply due to the enhanced liquiidity of the CGC book.