• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

But.... Isn't pressing a form of restoration ??
3 3

60 posts in this topic

On 1/21/2022 at 11:22 AM, PiggyTTV said:

The masses accept it now because CGC forced them to back then. CGC selfishly changed the definition of restoration to fit their own schemes, which was to open a new revenue stream (PCS) making money off CPR. That's why Zaid went nuts. There was no CBCS at the time so they didn't have a choice. 

This x 100.

It's of no use to revisit the argument, the Pressing Industrial Complex clearly won. But it is undisputable that the manufactured definition of "restoration" was convenient for CGC and the big money hobbyists.

Edited by Mr. Zipper

BTW... I have nothing against pressing. I get it done selectively. I have used Joe G and Mike DeChellis with good results. 

What concerns me is that every fly by night Tom, and Harry has hung out a pressing shingle and many of them are incompetents. There are a zillion of them on Facebook. They are frying and squashing books. I buy books on eBay and they arrive like overdone waffles. :facepalm:

On 1/21/2022 at 2:33 PM, Mr. Zipper said:

This x 100.

It's of no use to revisit the argument, the Pressing Industrial Complex clearly won. But it is undisputable that the manufactured definition of "restoration" was convenient for CGC and the big money hobbyists.

mulder chung complex.png

On 1/21/2022 at 6:41 PM, PiggyTTV said:

According to CGC's restoration standards, trimming should be cool because nothing is added. That's the slippery slope CGC started when they thumbed their nose at the hobby.

That is emphatically untrue, and has never been the case as far as CGC is concerned, who don't exactly hide the word "TRIMMED" on their labels.

"Nothing is added" is obviously not the same as "something has been removed from the book". Everyone in the hobby considers trimming to be abrasion or destruction of the book, CGC included. I imagine there'd be considerable outrage if CGC decided that was the case, but that is quite simply never going to happen.

On 1/21/2022 at 6:54 AM, batchainpllr said:

It seems odd to me that CGC will put a purple label on a restored comic even if it's only been cleaned, yet they don't put one on a comic that's been pressed - a service that they offer.

Bottom line. Properly pressed books cannot be detected. This is one reason why CGC States "Restoration Includes..." in their label. The word "includes" gives them a valid disclaimer because they know things like pressing may not be detected.

I remember a classic Phantom Lady that had been pressed and had gloss sprayed on it. The book was obviously pressed because the "re-glossing" (fake treatment with no basis in reality) and the pressing coincided and accented both the bad glossing and the bad pressing. If that book were submitted to any reputable TPG it would be flagged as restored and pressing would have been included.

Edited by PovertyRow
spelling

On 1/21/2022 at 5:40 PM, Mr. Zipper said:

BTW... I have nothing against pressing. I get it done selectively. I have used Joe G and Mike DeChellis with good results. 

What concerns me is that every fly by night Tom, and Harry has hung out a pressing shingle and many of them are incompetents. There are a zillion of them on Facebook. They are frying and squashing books. I buy books on eBay and they arrive like overdone waffles. :facepalm:

I agree with this. A LOT of amateur guys in the pressing “biz” and comics in general who are not great. And that is a problem 

On 1/21/2022 at 2:41 PM, shadroch said:

CGC's inability to detect all pressing doesn't excuse them not noting it when they are aware of it. 

Exactly.  Not all trimming is easily detectable and obviously, some has gotten through without detection.  But they still note trimmed on the label when they do.

And no, I'm not equating trimming with pressing.  Just the idea of detectability as a rationale for not noting.  2c

AND, if they did start calling out all the bad pressing being done, it could clear out all the amateurs and leave only professionals who know what they're doing.  :wishluck:

I get books pressed now and then along with countless others here that do as well. The comics get a blue label and people buy them. It is acceptable and that is the way it is. I've yet to have someone decide not to buy a comic because it was pressed. Not the hill to die on. 2c

On 1/22/2022 at 6:32 PM, PiggyTTV said:

I was referring to the thread title. Do you objectively think pressing is a form of restoration? 

No.

On 1/21/2022 at 5:09 PM, goldust40 said:

That is emphatically untrue, and has never been the case as far as CGC is concerned, who don't exactly hide the word "TRIMMED" on their labels.

"Nothing is added" is obviously not the same as "something has been removed from the book". Everyone in the hobby considers trimming to be abrasion or destruction of the book, CGC included. I imagine there'd be considerable outrage if CGC decided that was the case, but that is quite simply never going to happen.

Trimming should not be considered restoration but rather get a huge decrease in grade -  blue label with trimming noted. 

green labels should not exist imo 

On 1/21/2022 at 9:54 AM, batchainpllr said:

It seems odd to me that CGC will put a purple label on a restored comic even if it's only been cleaned, yet they don't put one on a comic that's been pressed - a service that they offer.

Just to be clear. If one of your comics does not fall flat, and you lay it under some heavy books to straighten it out a bit, and you then send it to CGC, that comic should be a purple label?

Personally, I think there is more to sink out teeth into the debate on some Golden Age books with colour touch not being labelled as restored.

Superman #32 CGC 8.5 with colour touch.jpg

Edited by William-James88

On 1/21/2022 at 1:35 PM, joeypost said:

You’re about 16 years late to the discussion. 

If you have time and the inclination I would appreciate and educated opinion on...

There is a book on  that claims, blue light (cover and lage whitening), water cleaning and peroxide (if u rebalance the PH) cleaning can all be done with blue label. These methods supposedly remove foxing, and sundhadows.

Is the book a troll or is the information correct? I can send a link to the book in question if needed.

If water cleaning is okay I'd imagine peroxide is too, just because it breaks down to.... 

I just can't imagine I see all of this foxing and sunshadows but there is a solution.

That said I'm ignorant, so WTF do I know lol