• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moon Knight Special Edition # 1 interior page estimate?

18 posts in this topic

hello all

I picked up this page from a few years back and haven't done anything with it. Since I don't buy much in the way of OA, I figured I'd get a few guesses from those more tuned into pricing. The pic from my cell doesn't do me any favors. Is it enough to buy a soda? lol The pic shows distortion along the edges but the art is in excellent shape. 

Moon Knight Special # 1 page # 3.

Pencils by Art Nichols and inks by Chris Ivy

20220123_224135_edited_edited.jpg

RCO004_1467365666.jpg

Edited by Timeless icons

So much of a page's value relies on nostalgia, image, character and--further down the list, regretfully--the artist who did the work, with some notable exceptions. I know Art Nichols more for his inks than his pencils. On a ranking of Top 100 Comic Book Artists (1970s to date), I wouldn't put him on the list. YMMV.

This particular storyline isn't special, but there are some strong images in play. The big win here is that there's lots of Moon Knight with a side of Shang-Chi thrown in.If there was ever a time to sell the page, this would be it. Until recently, I'd have said this was $150-250 page. But in this market? All you need is two hungry bidders.

The top being removed would be a big negative for me... makes me wonder if this was dry-mounted as well... and if that was the case the value goes to zero for a lot of folks

On 1/24/2022 at 9:30 AM, Will_K said:

Was the top of the page cut off from the rest of the art ?  That would bug some people.

Doubt it. By the looks of it I think it was just a framing choice to cover the middle part so the top with the title and page info could be seen better and act like a title card.

Value wise looking at some of the recent prices for pieces penciled by, Nichols it wouldn't be a ton not to say it doesn't have a lot going for it. If I had to say its cons it would be not a big artist, and some forgotten limited series. Pros would be good page content and images, desired and currently hot character, and from an issue one page though technically a mini series so not really impressive compared to a regular running title.

While not seeing any pages for this series at auction or for sale, the best I could compare it to would be nicer pages from Marc Specter: Moon Knight series which have come to auction recently with nice pages from it going to around $400 with artists who aren't the most well-known. I'd say maybe around the $400-$500 with possibly more. I gave yours a higher estimation because of how close the show is to release which drives hype combined with the high prices currently paid for normally cheaper pieces in the market, and because of a lot of moon Knight content on the page.

On 1/24/2022 at 9:41 AM, vodou said:

I think: it's $500 list on any of the usual dealer sites that don't only handle four figures and above; it sells within 45 days.

Putting it on eBay with $400 starting bid or $500 BIN would make it disappear pretty quick.

Agreed. I’d buy it for $400

On 1/24/2022 at 9:13 AM, Mighty Hal said:

So much of a page's value relies on nostalgia, image, character and--further down the list, regretfully--the artist who did the work, with some notable exceptions. I know Art Nichols more for his inks than his pencils. On a ranking of Top 100 Comic Book Artists (1970s to date), I wouldn't put him on the list. YMMV.

This particular storyline isn't special, but there are some strong images in play. The big win here is that there's lots of Moon Knight with a side of Shang-Chi thrown in.If there was ever a time to sell the page, this would be it. Until recently, I'd have said this was $150-250 page. But in this market? All you need is two hungry bidders.

Thanks for the insight. Great points and it seems to make sense to me. It looks like I may do just that. (thumbsu

On 1/24/2022 at 10:27 AM, DeadpoolJr. said:

Doubt it. By the looks of it I think it was just a framing choice to cover the middle part so the top with the title and page info could be seen better and act like a title card.

Value wise looking at some of the recent prices for pieces penciled by, Nichols it wouldn't be a ton not to say it doesn't have a lot going for it. If I had to say its cons it would be not a big artist, and some forgotten limited series. Pros would be good page content and images, desired and currently hot character, and from an issue one page though technically a mini series so not really impressive compared to a regular running title.

While not seeing any pages for this series at auction or for sale, the best I could compare it to would be nicer pages from Marc Specter: Moon Knight series which have come to auction recently with nice pages from it going to around $400 with artists who aren't the most well-known. I'd say maybe around the $400-$500 with possibly more. I gave yours a higher estimation because of how close the show is to release which drives hype combined with the high prices currently paid for normally cheaper pieces in the market, and because of a lot of moon Knight content on the page.

Thanks for the estimates and opinion.  Much appreciated. (thumbsu

On 1/24/2022 at 11:12 AM, zhamlau said:

650-750. Bottom right panel is iconic. Lettered on page, known Artists, and MCU tied characters brings in normies looking for some of their first art buys. 

I think this is probably the sweet spot although no doubt breaking $1000 at auction would not surprise me at all.

Someone  on the boards recently said to sell your art privately is limiting your imagination in terms of price you might achieve. In this heated auction environment I agree whole heartedly.

The more people see this page the more money you’re going to make. I’d go to ComicLink probably. It’s not valued high enough for Heritage.

It would sell quick on eBay at $400-$500 but let me give you 3 examples of the immediate listed resale of the page if bought by one of the dealers.

Dealer

A: 2-3x = $1250-$1500

B: 5x= $2500

C: Inquire

They know who they are 😃 

I would definitely auction it.

Edited by grapeape

On 1/25/2022 at 10:38 AM, grapeape said:

I think this is probably the sweet spot although no doubt breaking $1000 at auction would not surprise me at all.

Someone  on the boards recently said to sell your art privately is limiting your imagination in terms of price you might achieve. In this heated auction environment I agree whole heartedly.

The more people see this page the more money you’re going to make. I’d go to ComicLink probably. It’s not valued high enough for Heritage.

It would sell quick on eBay at $400-$500 but let me give you 3 examples of the immediate listed resale of the page if bought by one of the dealers.

Dealer

A: 2-3x = $1250-$1500

B: 5x= $2500

C: Inquire

They know who they are 😃 

I would definitely auction 

CLink is no guarantee of anything b/c the sub 1000 space is super competitive... could see a page like this (panel 2 w/odd "who cares" expression by Shang-Chi, middle panel lacking any power/perspective and last panel badly over-inked) struggling against better pages or pages by better and/or more well-known artists. Ebay at 750 BIN with best offer set at 600 gets you your $ free and easy w/o waiting 5 months for a CLink auction to (maybe) get you the same.

BTW the criticism of the page is not personal, strictly objective from my perspective as a buyer. You wanted a straight opinion... hopium doesn't help anyone.

Edited by Race

On 1/24/2022 at 1:12 PM, zhamlau said:

650-750. Bottom right panel is iconic. Lettered on page, known Artists, and MCU tied characters brings in normies looking for some of their first art buys. 

That last part I agree with. It's the kind of page a non-collector might check a bunch of boxes on what they are looking for, for sure. 

On 1/25/2022 at 2:22 PM, Chaykin Stevens said:

I think thats a bit of an overstatement.  Aren't iconic things supposed to be widely known and acknowleged for their excellence?

Nope. Iconic is the right word.  It’s completely representative of the classic moon knight vibe and visual.