• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sleepwalker and speedball OA?
1 1

11 posts in this topic

When I was young I always loved obscure characters and for some odd reason Sleepwalker and Speedball were my favorites. I have managed to find a Speedball page over the years but rarely seen any Sleepwalker pieces. Anyone have any they want to share? Not necessarily for sale, I would just like to see them!

I am more of a Darkhawk fan than a Speedball fan, but Sleepwalker has a special place in my heart. I picked up the first issue at a grocery store, and come to think of it, I think that may have been my first #1 issue 🤔

The reason you don't see a lot of (early) Sleepwalker art is because Bret Blevins kept it all. And, since he didn't have an inker, there are no "inker pages" floating around either. I heard from a reliable source that a BSD black hole collector bought it all, so you won't see any of the Blevins work come to light any time soon. I do hope I got bad intel. About 12 months ago or so, CLink was auctioning off a couple of Sleepwalker pages by Kelly Krantz. I think a Joe Quesada Sleepwalker cover also sold on Clink about 3 or so years ago. That's about all I've seen.

On 1/26/2022 at 5:34 AM, John E. said:

The reason you don't see a lot of (early) Sleepwalker art is because Bret Blevins kept it all. And, since he didn't have an inker, there are no "inker pages" floating around either. I heard from a reliable source that a BSD black hole collector bought it all, so you won't see any of the Blevins work come to light any time soon. I do hope I got bad intel. About 12 months ago or so, CLink was auctioning off a couple of Sleepwalker pages by Kelly Krantz. I think a Joe Quesada Sleepwalker cover also sold on Clink about 3 or so years ago. That's about all I've seen.

Reading all this remember me of a move I didn't do... (and I should bang my head on a wall again)

3 years ago, Peter Koch offered on his website a page of an early Sleepwalker issue and I didn't jumped on it (it was only 50 USD)

Here it is :

http://cdn.kochcomicart.com/Images/Category_2/subcat_1169/leonardi-sw4pg8.jpg

Yes... Do not forget that Rick Leonardi did a fill-in issue (#4), so nice Sleepwalker art exists on the market (and I can say "nice" confidentely not only because of Leonardi, but also because of Al Williamson inks).

@Ecclectica @John E.This information really helped! While I do have some OA pieces and have been dabbling for a few years I still have a lot of learn. I have always wondered why finding pages for some of these more obscure books was so difficult. My assumption was people, like me, who had an affinity to this character, simply held on to them.

On 1/27/2022 at 3:55 PM, ignimbrite said:

@Ecclectica @John E.This information really helped! While I do have some OA pieces and have been dabbling for a few years I still have a lot of learn. I have always wondered why finding pages for some of these more obscure books was so difficult. My assumption was people, like me, who had an affinity to this character, simply held on to them.

Well, if one day you see another Ditko's Speedball page (even a minor one) to sell which is not visible on the market, send me a PM. :-)

(and for your assumption, it is probably right IMHO)

Edited by Ecclectica

On 1/25/2022 at 8:34 PM, John E. said:

I am more of a Darkhawk fan than a Speedball fan, but Sleepwalker has a special place in my heart. I picked up the first issue at a grocery store, and come to think of it, I think that may have been my first #1 issue 🤔

I’m team Darkhawk as well. I think Dinesh has several pages from issue #1 to go along with the cover. Just killler!

On 1/28/2022 at 2:10 AM, Xatari said:

I’m team Darkhawk as well. I think Dinesh has several pages from issue #1 to go along with the cover. Just killler!

I made the evidence-less assumption that he bought the complete book. I guess it now makes sense why he would “break up” the book by selling that splash during Comic Art Live; it was never complete to begin with. So does this mean there are other pages to be had? 🤔🤔🤔