• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Speculation and the Real Estate Market Bubble

101 posts in this topic

Just to give you an idea, take a look at this link of one of the 3 ski resorts over looking the city. Equally spectacular during the summer months and keep in mind Whistler is just over an hour drive from here and it drawfs the local mountains.

Voted by Conde Nast as the "best city in the Americas" in 2004.

The View From Above

The scenery is breathtaking, I will give you that, but when I think about the things that draw me to a city, scenery doesn't come to mind. Night life, culture, historical sites, food, and climate are the real selling points for me. On those, how can anyone say a city like Vancouver has anything on Paris? Or London? Or Barcelona? Not only are they beautiful, they have an astounding amount to offer in all of the above categories.

Personally, Paris is number one in my book by a pretty wide margin. That city is truly a wonder to behold.

My top 5

1. Barcelona

2. Santorini

3. Cape Town

4. Carmel/Monterey, CA

5. Paris

all of these places assume that you would have some cash - I can't imagine living in Cape Town, for example, with no money. Cape Town on South African Breweries' expense account? cloud9.gif

When I was younger I used to stay at a house in Carmel, read comics books. cloud9.gif

That's truely a great area.

I would also add Florence and Cinque Terre Italy. In fact I love many areas of Tuscany. There were mountains not far from my window that looked like it was covered with snow year-round. Actually it was dusty white marble from the famous mountains of Carrara. cloud9.gif

973629-carrara.jpg.7af20ffb2068f150989421b5a0196210.jpg

perhaps you'd like to consider that "the best city in the world to live in" is a concept very specific to the individual.

the chief of a native aboriginal tribe in Australia, who speaks no English - is perfectly at home in his hut in the Australian outback. get him to make the move to Vancouver - what good would that do him? he'd be on the streets.

i'm sure to a person born and raised in Vancouver like yourself, Vancouver is the place to be. good for u. congratulations you are in paradise.

but if you don't understand the limitations of your own grand-sweeping statements, that's your loss. it suggests you haven't visited the many beautiful cities of the world. why would anyone who knows no one and has no job there, want to leave where they live just so they can live in Vancouver? what's the point?

Hey we are just yapping here, no need to get in a huff. I only suggested that Vancouver was the best place to live in Canada in relation to the topic of real estate. It is after all the hottest market and most expensive one in Canada by a country mile. I didn't write the Conde Nast report and Whistler has been rated the number one ski resort in North America for so many years now but that's beside the point. I don't understand your comment about the tribal chief because I guess you could throw him in Paris, Carmel or even where you live and the same would apply? As far as me suggesting that people pick up their things and move to Vancouver, well again I don't know where you got that from?(shrug) For the record I have travelled a fair bit, worked overseas for a few years so your "grand sweeping statement" about my limitations only serves to highlight yours. I don't know why you take this stuff so personally. screwy.gif

Would love to go to Paris one day, no doubt probably the richest city in terms of history, culture, etc. Have been to Carmel and yes it is also stunning. Lived in the Caribbean for a few years and while the beaches were to die for and the lifestyle nice and laid back the need to "get off the rock" to keep your sanity was a necessary routine every 9-12 months.

perhaps i've met a few too many vancouverites who seem to look down on everyone else. after you wrote,

Besides if your going to live in a big Candian city, Vancouver is really the only choice.

it sounded as though u were the same. follow the thread again - i didn't jump to any conclusions until u started to make your case that u were the same.

if we talk about living indexes (which is how Vancouver gets rated so high), consider the living index of Canada. i'm sure u would agree it's pretty up there - it was number 1 for a while (i'm not sure now).

given that Canada as a whole ranks as high as it does, i think you'd have a hard time defending your quote above.

My top 5

1. Barcelona

2. Santorini

3. Cape Town

4. Carmel/Monterey, CA

5. Paris

all of these places assume that you would have some cash - I can't imagine living in Cape Town, for example, with no money. Cape Town on South African Breweries' expense account? cloud9.gif

Actually, even with the Rand`s appreciation against the US dollar in recent years, you can still stretch a buck a pretty long way in Cape Town.

yes, i understand cape town is safer than the rest of south africa, but doesn't the crime and racial strife still weigh heavily in the background? one hears these stories. but i guess we're talking "money is no object", so you can afford a body guard?

(I live in the safest big city in america. My mayor keeps on saying so in his campaign commercials.)

I've spent a lot of time in Paris. It is lovely, though right now perhaps uncomfortable for an American, particularly one who doesn't speak French fluently.

Monterey CA did seem lovely. I researched real estate prices once I got home from there. And while I could afford to buy a nice place, assuming I could replicate my NYC income.... given the lack of high paying jobs, I probably couldn't keep up the mortgage. It seems that for many you need to come to Monterey with money!

yes, i understand cape town is safer than the rest of south africa, but doesn't the crime and racial strife still weigh heavily in the background? one hears these stories. but i guess we're talking "money is no object", so you can afford a body guard?

Sure you have to be on your guard, and sure it`s more dangerous than, say, Tokyo. But it`s not that bad, particularly compared to Johannesburg, which is a total jungle from everything I`ve heard.

I've spent a lot of time in Paris. It is lovely, though right now perhaps uncomfortable for an American, particularly one who doesn't speak French fluently.

Paris is fine. I was there during the height of anti-American sentiment, shortly after the invasion of Iraq, and no one gave me a hard time, and I speak virtually no French. In fact, everyone was actually more helpful and friendly than in previous trips. No one`s going to give you a hard time for being American there, unless you stumble into an anti-war protest or some student cafe.

(I live in the safest big city in america. My mayor keeps on saying so in his campaign commercials.)

My mayor says that we should expect big city problems since we are becoming one.

Then turns around and threatens to cut police before cutting a community pool in a city surrounded by 3 big lakes.

Of course, if we don't want police cuts, then we could pay more in taxes... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Christo_pull_hair.gif

I own a house in northern Vermont, and I must say it is nice there. I moved to Albany NY to do a logging job for a friend 8 years ago, and ended up staying, because of an over abundance of work, plus I got married. I still have my place in Vermont, and I intend to return someday. 200 miles away in Albany, their are a lot of deer ticks. It's hard to have to tell my daughter not to play in the bushes, because you could get lyme disease. That's nothing I had to worry about as a kid.

"No one`s going to give you a hard time for being American there, unless you stumble into an anti-war protest or some student cafe."

yup, most of the [embarrassing lack of self control] I got was from 20something friends of my [distant] cousins over there.

Besides if your going to live in a big Candian city, Vancouver is really the only choice.

Well I live and grew up in Vancouver

maybe the fact that u grew up and and live in vancouver might make your views a bit biased? sorry ur the only one that doesn't view it as so.

Have been to Edmonton, Calgary and Toronto and really its no comparison.

why do u put down other cities?

I only suggested that Vancouver was the best place to live in Canada in relation to the topic of real estate.

maybe u don't know how to develop an argument, but if that's the best u can do to change the gist of ur topic - then that's just plain sad.

Well I live and grew up in Vancouver

maybe the fact that u grew up and and live in vancouver might make your views a bit biased? sorry ur the only one that doesn't view it as so.

Have been to Edmonton, Calgary and Toronto and really its no comparison.

why do u put down other cities?

I only suggested that Vancouver was the best place to live in Canada in relation to the topic of real estate.

maybe u don't know how to develop an argument, but if that's the best u can do to change the gist of ur topic - then that's just plain sad.

Boy you really have a complex don't you. IN MY OPINION I don't see the cities I mentioned above as being comparable to Vancouver. If you don't like that when then tough 893censored-thumb.gif. Give it up please, your trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

if u don't like this thread, then don't contribute. it's not as though you've contributed to anything other than:

1. vancouver is better than all other cities

2. made specific remarks commenting on others (me)

if you'd like to contribute to the thread in a positive manner, then why don't u address some of the issues i brought up against your arguments in my replies rather than just label me as having some problem.

I saw Trump at the Taj on monday. He did the keynote speech for a convention I was attending. He was just coming off getting paid 1.5 million for an hour long speech in NYC.Unless he was 1,000 times better than at the Taj,he was overpaid.

While his speech was riveting and semi-inspiring,I ,and many listeners,were taken aback by his use of vulgarity.Seemed like every other sentence had a excretion reference and he made used a few FiretrUCK,including one with a mother accompanying it. Several people left.