• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Iron Man 14
3 3

14 posts in this topic

Hi All,

One of my favorite silver age Iron Man covers.  This book is in good shape, a couple light spine ticks and some general discoloration here and there (see photo of bottom right corner, FC, where it might be most noticeable).  It almost resembles foxing, and I can't remove it with a gentle eraser.  Also, there is some writing in pen on the BC.  Thanks!

IMG_2569.thumb.jpg.4b38bb234ed517dc21cb819b943974d1.jpg

IMG_2572.thumb.jpg.50efff60db6bcde74556b0730cf657ae.jpg

IMG_2570.thumb.jpg.a8d9f3222599e1ba797027f10fa02023.jpg

IMG_2573.thumb.jpg.ee22d25abf63be52bd6811dada908bd2.jpg

Edited by bapowell

On 1/29/2022 at 1:48 PM, Flammenwerfer said:

someone trimmed top edge, most likely to remove chipping

I see.  Yes, it does appear that way, and is maybe 1 mm shorter than other Iron Man comics I own from the same timeframe.  Man, that sucks.  

On 1/29/2022 at 1:48 PM, Flammenwerfer said:

someone trimmed top edge, most likely to remove chipping

Here is the description from the seller: "Cover is trimmed close to logo as it came from the newsstand". Any idea what that means?  Seems like they are saying it just came this way.  

It could be a production miscut. There's a lot more of the lady's shoe at the bottom than other copies online. And the positioning of the ad on the back also suggests that - more bottom, less top. 

The top edge looks a bit darker than the leading or bottom edges. 

I've also compared it with an Iron Man 2, 18, an 22 and it's shorter (in the long direction) than all of them (though they are not all the same size, either).  Not even the staples are in the same places on any two copies.  It really was the wild west back then...

This example from the Marvel database shows a massive difference from your copy at the top and very little difference at the bottom, judging by her foot.  Whether this is due to trimming or a production anomaly is unclear.  Other than that it's in the 8.0 range imo.

image.png.7a68b12eefc632d6a54a419957f9b906.png