• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cracked out my first PGX slab yesterday.
2 2

8 posts in this topic

Somewhere along the way, I ended up with a few PGX slabs and as MCS does nor accept them on consignment, I decided to break one out and submit it as raw.

The book in question was a 9.2 Wolverine 1 mini -series.  It had been awhile since I opened a slab and the pgx one looked pretty sturdy, so I was very surprised when I stuck a knife into the side and the case just popped off. Incredidbly, the four pins didn't crack like a CGC case and I think it would be pretty easy to switch books and reseal the case. 

The inner seal was a whole different story. The book was graded in 2010 and unlike many cgc books from that era, the inner seal was tight.  In fact, it was difficult to open, even with my exacto knife.  

After examining the book, it looks like a pretty accurate grade, although it won't surprise me if MCS knocks it down a grade or two.

I've opened dozens of CGC cases and only about 1-2% of them looked like they could be resealed. That the one pgx case looked so easy to reseal was troubling to me, and would be more of a concern if I intended to spend real money on them.  As of now, my only pgx slabs are a few DC/Whitman  Legions and DC Presents that are hard to find in slabs.

On 1/31/2022 at 2:45 PM, Mr. Zipper said:

I have found PGX to be typically overgraded by one to two grade increments, but the real concern is undetected restoration or trimming. Especially if the initial source was "Terrance Leder." 

http://www.justafanboy.com/PGX/

This and their "signature" program

Which was basically one of the graders scribbling names on covers and saying, "That'll do"

On 1/31/2022 at 4:53 PM, The Meta said:

This and their "signature" program

Which was basically one of the graders scribbling names on covers and saying, "That'll do"

How could I forget all the "Stan Lee" and "Steve Ditko" signed comics they "authenticated" ?  Laughable fakes. :facepalm:

My only experience has been one submission, due to the cheaper price and much faster turnaround. I felt they overgraded my books by about a grade and was disappointed, as I want the slab to eliminate any debate on grade .,, so I don't have to defend the book. I have also deslabbed a few PGX comics, mostly scarcer GA books. Those seemed to be accurate, but I did buy them based on the book and not the label. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12