• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Burly Tim Burton
3 3

82 posts in this topic

On 2/2/2022 at 12:56 AM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

I find the movie to be completely unwatchable these days. 

Yes. It's what it always was. I mean, I watched Mary Poppins and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang through the eyes of a child as they reran the movies in the late 1960's. Know what I see when I re-watch them through my adult filter? Awesome movies. A little sugary (No pun intended) but we can use some sweetness these days. Mary Poppins was a b*&ch in the book. THAT much I noticed they changed. That was a welcome change. Ever huff ether with someone who's on a constant downer? It STINKS! LOL!

On 2/2/2022 at 3:39 PM, Randall Ries said:

So, I as an adult (an admittedly cranky adult) I am still waiting for my grown up Batman movie.

They made them.  Batman Begins and The Dark Knight.  Batman Begins might be the best we ever get from a Batman movie and TDK's Joker will be the model for that role going forward.  Perfectly paced, brooding, excellent acting and all the great popcorn moments you can stomach in a movie that takes itself that seriously.  

I was an adult who loved that movie.  After Superman III and IV I thought comic book movies were doomed.  Then they announced Keaton, and then I thought it would be just "superbad"  But Keaton was very good in the role.  Everyone has already named the bad Batman actors.  But when Keaton said this line in the movie everyone, adults mainly cheered. 

On 2/2/2022 at 11:25 AM, october said:

I still enjoy the movie, but it's certainly not perfect. 

What it certainly WAS, however, was a quantum leap forward in legitimizing Batman and superheroes in general. Never forget what the most popular mass media portrayal of Batman was prior to it....

Adam West, who played 1960s-era Batman, dies at 88 | National News |  journalnow.com

:cloud9:

On 2/2/2022 at 4:41 PM, Ryan. said:

Old guys complaining about movies about men in tights not being grown up enough. Ecstasy. :cloud9:

Ryan. What are you? 29? 30? Less?

Yeah, I'm complaining. I complained about it when I was young as well. Does that count? And here YOU are, Ryan. On a comic book forum snuttin' down your nose at what? Another comic book fan? Oh ok.

On 2/2/2022 at 4:07 PM, toro said:

I was an adult who loved that movie.  After Superman III and IV I thought comic book movies were doomed.  Then they announced Keaton, and then I thought it would be just "superbad"  But Keaton was very good in the role.  Everyone has already named the bad Batman actors.  But when Keaton said this line in the movie everyone, adults mainly cheered. 

It's strange because when I read the pirated -script, that's the line that my eyes dragged across. "I'm Batman". Certainly they will change THAT. That's terrible writing. They did not. Life can be rough. It became a tag line for just about everything.

What are you going on about?  
Yes, when Keaton was announced in the role, it was a laughing stock.  
Then the film came out and many audience members' jaws dropped in awe at the dark look and gothic art direction.  
And it became a huge hit, finally (largely) replacing pop culture's image of Batman as "POW!  ZAP!  HOLY CAMPINESS, BATMAN!"
You didn't like it.  Okay.  Does it hold up as a great movie?  It never was great in my eyes.  Yet you are painting it as a goofy romp by somebody that would just as soon put Batman in a dress(?), citing that it must have been an embarrassment to O'Neil, Miller, et. al. citing no evidence to that effect.  
(shrug)

On 2/1/2022 at 9:33 PM, Randall Ries said:

1989 was a sorry year for the Dark Knight. 1986 was the year he was christened "The Dark Knight" by Frank Miller. As far as I know. Then Michael Keaton accepted the role of Batman in Tim Burton's ridiculous-a-thon "Batman". To the horror of all of us. Batman fans and Michael Keaton fans. Keaton is a comedian.

Back to Gotham City as a giant playground. With giant props. With a goofus Joker again. And we got who? Talia Al Ghul as Batman's love interest? Awesome! MIGHT have been. But no. We got Vicki Vale.

Neal Adams, Denny O'Neil, Terry Austin, Marshall Rogers, Jim Aparo, Bob Haney and Frank Miller must have sat in the theater in 1989 and wondered why they had put all that thought and effort into revitalizing the character just to watch DC Comics pander to their children.

"Daddy! Make Batman wear a dress! Tee hee!"
"Ok, honey!"
"Daddy! Hire Tim Burton to direct your Batman movie! We LIKED Beetlejuice! He was fuuuunny, Daddy!"
"Ok, Sweetheart!"

I mean, come on. Tim Burton had manlier shoulders than Batman, fer Chrissakes! Tim Burton is 6'0. Batman was supposed to be around at least 6'4. "A huge man dressed like Dracula". Michael Keaton? 5'9. About a foot short.

Don't believe me? How about....YOUR OWN EYES? Here's Michael Keaton as The "Dark" Knight and Tim Burton. Here we see Keaton standing bolt upright with the graceful, sloping shoulders of a high school lab partner. Tim Burton is humped over like Wybie in "Coraline" and he had a majestic shoulder spread compared to Batman in this photo.

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.3e0de41565f737c250e24686c0e7110a.jpgf.png.837420368eb4b72d333ad08beb395912.png

So, who would you have chosen as the roll of Batman when it was cast in 1987-88? 

On 2/2/2022 at 7:31 PM, szav said:

The Tim Burton Batman still stands out to me as the best Batman movie Of them all.  I was afraid it’d feel dated but I watched it with my wife, who’s a bit younger than me and hadn’t seen it before, 2 or 3 years ago.  She loved it, and it stood up better than I thought it would.

My memory of 30 years ago may be fuzzy but I seem to recall it giving a huge boost to comic values and interest at the time too.  I think the Reeve Superman movies had been busts and very stale, and Tim Burton did an amazing job making comic movies, which had languished for several years prior, hip and cool again.

Maybe it wasn’t as dark as the Dark Knight comics, but for the time it was much darker and more adult  than previous comic movies.

Whether or not you liked Keaton in the role, Its easily one of the top 5 most influential comic movies ever made imo.

The problem is that people look at it through 2020 eyes and compare it to Nolan's move.

As a comic book movie, it really stands up well and all of the camp and humor that we see in today's successful superhero movies are based off of that movie. 

Burton nailed it as far as comic feel...he always did. That's his gift. 

On 2/2/2022 at 8:28 PM, VintageComics said:

The problem is that people look at it through 2020 eyes and compare it to Nolan's move.

Yep, you might not have Nolan's without Burton's.  Have seen this most-influential-superhero-movie debate come up on other forums and before and Iron Man and Nolan's Batman are popular answers, and they certainly deserve credit for for the superhero deluge in the last 15 years, but it's still Burton's Batman overall.  (Then maybe 1978 Superman, then maybe Iron Man.)   

On 2/2/2022 at 7:31 PM, szav said:

My memory of 30 years ago may be fuzzy but I seem to recall it giving a huge boost to comic values and interest at the time too.  I think the Reeve Superman movies had been busts and very stale, and Tim Burton did an amazing job making comic movies, which had languished for several years prior, hip and cool again.

Also, you are correct. The movie moved the needle in Batman comics like no other move until the last 10-15 years have done. 

Detective 27 overtook all other books as the most valuable book in the OSPG that year because of it and I think everything Batman doubled or tripled.