• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Burly Tim Burton
3 3

82 posts in this topic

On 2/2/2022 at 8:39 PM, VintageComics said:

Also, you are correct. The movie moved the needle in Batman comics like no other move until the last 10-15 years have done. 

Detective 27 overtook all other books as the most valuable book in the OSPG that year because of it and I think everything Batman doubled or tripled. 

All that proves is movies and the flush of big money push comics around. Marvel is the king of that. They have gotten so good at it they move B rated characters like Shang-Chi and the Falcon to front and center.

They get novices interested in the medium. Sales go up. They stay steady for a bit. They settle back down. I was never upset about that. I was offended with the junk writing for the Bat movies. My prejudice began with that awful -script without any visuals like a movie to distract me. The pirated copy of the -script was read by 12 of us at different times. The best anyone could muster was "Eh. It was 'ok'." And that was the consensus. Mediocre. A few of us - like myself - were actually offended.

We were readers. And yeah. We only had the Superman movies and a couple of joke Captain America movies. I really wanted the Batman movies to improve. They never did. IMO, of course. They moved laterally but they never improved. Heath Ledger was the best thing that happened to the movie franchise.

But as I mentioned, we were readers. And no one can beat the imagination. The Batman in much of the books probably can't be realized on screen. There are too many other considerations that need to be taken into account when doing movies and they will always pander. The suits want to see a certain product and that's what they will get. The suits don't know. I doubt Michael Keaton knew. Burton probably didn't get it either. In spite of whatever hype press releases may have taken place ("Oh YES. I grew UP on Batman! I know him forward and backward!") Suuure you do. TV show most likely.

I was just saying not everyone was so welcoming. Not the people buying the comics regularly. They did not universally accept that movie. It wasn't even a polarizing thing. Most people I knew that were comic book geeks weren't having it. Kids at the time? Yes. What did they know? They were 6 and 7 year olds. Of course they loved it. Parent were showing them reruns of the 1966 tv show and that's what they expected the movie would be like. It kinda was.

On 2/2/2022 at 10:44 PM, Randall Ries said:

I was just saying not everyone was so welcoming. Not the people buying the comics regularly. They did not universally accept that movie. It wasn't even a polarizing thing. Most people I knew that were comic book geeks weren't having it. Kids at the time? Yes. What did they know? They were 6 and 7 year olds. Of course they loved it. Parent were showing them reruns of the 1966 tv show and that's what they expected the movie would be like. It kinda was.

Maybe it's just a different set of expectations. I'm much more visual than I am a reader. 

I was 18 and absolutely mesmerized by how cartoony the movie looked. . 

I was also on a hot 1st date. :cloud9: I came an hour late and we walked in just as he was taking Basinger into the Batcave for the 1st time. :facepalm:

I had to go to the theater a 2nd time to see the beginning of the move about a week later. 

On 2/1/2022 at 10:33 PM, Randall Ries said:

1989 was a sorry year for the Dark Knight. 1986 was the year he was christened "The Dark Knight" by Frank Miller. As far as I know. Then Michael Keaton accepted the role of Batman in Tim Burton's ridiculous-a-thon "Batman". To the horror of all of us. Batman fans and Michael Keaton fans. Keaton is a comedian.

Back to Gotham City as a giant playground. With giant props. With a goofus Joker again. And we got who? Talia Al Ghul as Batman's love interest? Awesome! MIGHT have been. But no. We got Vicki Vale.

Neal Adams, Denny O'Neil, Terry Austin, Marshall Rogers, Jim Aparo, Bob Haney and Frank Miller must have sat in the theater in 1989 and wondered why they had put all that thought and effort into revitalizing the character just to watch DC Comics pander to their children.

"Daddy! Make Batman wear a dress! Tee hee!"
"Ok, honey!"
"Daddy! Hire Tim Burton to direct your Batman movie! We LIKED Beetlejuice! He was fuuuunny, Daddy!"
"Ok, Sweetheart!"

I mean, come on. Tim Burton had manlier shoulders than Batman, fer Chrissakes! Tim Burton is 6'0. Batman was supposed to be around at least 6'4. "A huge man dressed like Dracula". Michael Keaton? 5'9. About a foot short.

Don't believe me? How about....YOUR OWN EYES? Here's Michael Keaton as The "Dark" Knight and Tim Burton. Here we see Keaton standing bolt upright with the graceful, sloping shoulders of a high school lab partner. Tim Burton is humped over like Wybie in "Coraline" and he had a majestic shoulder spread compared to Batman in this photo.

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.3e0de41565f737c250e24686c0e7110a.jpgf.png.837420368eb4b72d333ad08beb395912.png

Bruh, you’ve got wayyyyyyy too much time on your hands 😂