• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does this look like a 9.0 to you?
1 1

26 posts in this topic

On 2/8/2022 at 3:33 AM, Poekaymon said:

A 9.0 can be quite bad.  I've had plenty of books come back 9.0-9.2 that look like this or even worse.  I've found that while people probably do have a tendency to overgrade their own raws, people on this forum way undergrade to compensate, particularly what can or can't get 9+.

I can’t buy 9.0/9.2 anymore.  So many defects allowed.  CGC 9.2s look like VFs to me. 

On 2/7/2022 at 10:39 AM, The Meta said:

The  creep engine was from the one series of slabs that didn't have an inner well, which CGC discarded, what in 2016?

Having received over 50 of these new slabs, that isn't something to worry about with these cases

However Ive gotten back a few books that look similar to this when I know they didn't leave that way

So wondering if the inner wells are too small

In the last few years I have had several  books which I submitted to CGC come back from CGC with previously non-existent waviness. The first time, CGC blamed it on the 3rd party presser. Most recently, I decided to have CCS do the pressing, not because I didn't trust the 3rd party presser, but rather so that I would have some recourse if the books came back wavy. Sure enough, all three books came back from CGC with some degree of waviness.  CGC agreed to re-slab for free, but said it was a CCS pressing issue, not a CGC slab issue.  The 3rd party presser I used is highly-regarded. I believe the waviness issue is an inner well problem.

On 2/8/2022 at 6:19 AM, androolx said:

In the last few years I have had several  books which I submitted to CGC come back from CGC with previously non-existent waviness. The first time, CGC blamed it on the 3rd party presser. Most recently, I decided to have CCS do the pressing, not because I didn't trust the 3rd party presser, but rather so that I would have some recourse if the books came back wavy. Sure enough, all three books came back from CGC with some degree of waviness.  CGC agreed to re-slab for free, but said it was a CCS pressing issue, not a CGC slab issue.  The 3rd party presser I used is highly-regarded. I believe the waviness issue is an inner well problem.

I totally see where you are coming from

I've never used CCS, so I can't comment on them, I plan on using them in the future because I have SS books that could use a press, and polybag books that CGC will not recognize unless they are involved in removing the bag (Spider-Man 1 bagged). I'm holding off however, because of what looks like a constant stream of inconsistencies. 

Now as for books being wavy, there is a myriad of reasons these things happen, and while pressing is one, it isn't the all encompassing answer everyone wishes they had

I've had completely flat books turn wavy in slabs, just by sitting there for years.

Old style slabs, new style slabs. Pressed books, unpressed books.

It happens