• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hulk 180 no stamp grade universal grade question
2 2

26 posts in this topic

On 2/10/2022 at 12:07 PM, rexinnih said:

I thought there were still two or three graders who look at the books, is it just one and done now?

I can't say, but I certainly hope this 9.8 was the opinion of a single individual as opposed to the consensus of two or three.  :whatthe:  :whatthe:  :facepalm:

x1b.jpg.b66c20519808227b6ddde5e596a0ca68.jpgx1a.jpg.380728dcde320bcb710514b9c16c52c9.jpg

I admit to becoming more skeptical/suspicious than most when I see "imprecise" terms and/or subtle changes to long-standing descriptions.  Here's the evolution of the CGC guarantee:

Jun 2000: "CGC guarantees one pre-grader and two senior graders will review every comic book submitted for grading."
Jan 2022: "[CGC guarantees] the collectible has been inspected by at least two (2) professionals."

Is there a difference between "review" and "inspect"?  Are today's two "professionals" each assigning a numerical grade to the comic?  Or is one of them only counting pages (checking for completeness), performing a restoration check, or responsible for some other task (like Quality Control) that does not involve assigning a numerical grade to the comic?  hm

On 2/9/2022 at 8:06 PM, Artboy99 said:

the book should be either a green label of apparent grade or a 0.5 blue with missing mvs /incomplete in my opinion.

It depends whether it really has much effect on the content. If the cover has a piece missing the size of a value stamp it's generally not enough to make it a 0.5. Calling such a book "poor", and leaving it the same category as one missing entire pages seems harsh. 

On 2/11/2022 at 4:43 PM, rjpb said:

It depends whether it really has much effect on the content. If the cover has a piece missing the size of a value stamp it's generally not enough to make it a 0.5. Calling such a book "poor", and leaving it the same category as one missing entire pages seems harsh. 

I prefer the steadfast rule of 0.5 for incomplete books. If the owner wants to see a bigger grading number that is what the qualified is for.

The last thing i want to see is a grading scale for incomplete books. Something has been cut out and removed from the books that no longer have the marvel value stamps.

Edited by Artboy99