• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on how to price this Qualified book.

10 posts in this topic

I have a 9.4 Green labeled book, that got a qualified because it was signed and numbered by the author.  It's a book that doesn't trade all that often and MCS has a 9.0 blue label offered at $190.  Almost every other green label I've had was due to a missing stamp or I had one that was a 9.2 with a missing staple. All of them had flaws that caused the book to get a green label and I'd discount them for the flaws.

In this case, the green label is because the artist did a signing with DF. 

How would you price this? If it were in a yellow label, people would ask a premium over the 9.4 Universal. 

Would you price a 9.4 green with name written on cover above or below a universal 9.0 of the same book?

Another option is to deslab it and sell it with the original DF COA.

Edited by shadroch

Depends on the artist.  You could be describing a Jerry Siegel signed and numbered Superman comic (certificates by DF), who died before CGC existed... or you could be talking about an artist who still signs all the time.  I think the prices would be very different.

It's Jeff Smith, who doesn't seem to have many SS books.   I picked it up for $27, listed it this morning for $200 and accepted a $175 offer that came in within an hour.

Hopefully someone got a good deal and I didn't leave too much meat on the bones. I'm still curious how people would price this.

I would have said not to discount too much for a "Qualified" where the defect is an unverified signature, especially if it's a known, limited signed and numbered run, which is what this seemed to be.  

You might not get a premium for it, but I probably would have started at market for a regular 9.4

On 2/10/2022 at 10:51 AM, shadroch said:

It's Jeff Smith, who doesn't seem to have many SS books.   I picked it up for $27, listed it this morning for $200 and accepted a $175 offer that came in within an hour.

Hopefully someone got a good deal and I didn't leave too much meat on the bones. I'm still curious how people would price this.

Did he happen to add a year to his signature?  It can be helpful if there's a date that's earlier than CGC starting.

On 2/10/2022 at 8:51 AM, shadroch said:

I am in a conversation about this very topic on a FB posting. There seems to be this misconception among a few that green labels destroy value...yeah, a little but I would say destroy is not the right word. I always tell people look on gocollect and see if you can find any green label/unwitnessed sigs ...especially for auctions...since auctions involve more parties interested in the issue. And a green label isn't going to lessen the value anymore than if you sold it raw...for obvious reasons. So basically, the comic has a value somewhere between raw and blue label. If I were in this situation (so far I haven't had to worry about a green label when selling), I would probably go the same route you did...post it with a best offer. I have found that MCS 'buy it now' is a good top value indicator of comics...maybe a little more than FMV but a good guideline either way.

I would have priced it as a SS book, especially if DF has authorized it

If I ever sell this book, it will be for a yellow label price. Its a limited book, from the publisher. The likelihood those signatures are fake is close to nil

20220210_185134.jpg

On 2/10/2022 at 4:03 PM, valiantman said:

It can be helpful if there's a date that's earlier than CGC starting.

I don't consider CGC's certification worth what people pay for it (particularly in the secondary marketplace, nor do I consider it an end-all, be-all. :deadhorse: