• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman 234 Grade Please, Worth Sending?

7 posts in this topic

slight rust shouldn't affect a 8.5 much except if it's borderline (say 8.5/9.0) it will almost certainly get the lower grade. At least that's how I think... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

It looks like a borderline 8.5/9.0.

I finally sent my first pre-screens in, only took 3 years to do it crazy.gif. If you have a few that you were considering sending in, try to get about 50 and send them in for pre-screening with a minumum grade in mind.

gossip.gif It's a 232.

Are you submitting to sell or to keep?

If you want the book long term, clean the rust off the staples. Forget the grading and own a 'restored' issue, rather than a time-bomb.

If you want to sell, then grading might increase your final value (I don't know what effect the rust would have on the grade), but the rust will put a lot of people off. Again, I'd be tempted to clean it off and then sell the book raw.

Assuming you manage to get it all off, I don't see the ethical neccessity to mention the fact. Yes, it is considered restoration, but if you've cleared a big problem, to me, it's not an issue. If you sell the book in person, someone with a good eye might spot it and you can then volunteer the facts. If this seems shoddy, consider, that by slabbing and not removing the rust, you are effectively relying on finding a buyer who will not notice the problem (and let's face it, with a scan on ebay, this is quite hard to see). Which is worse?