• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM - JIM 83 - Grade is in
6 6

27 posts in this topic

I sent this into CGC last month for grading. Should be back soon. The books a solid lower grade copy with one caveat: the first wrap is split down the spine with both the first and last pages loose in the book......:facepalm:. Any guess on the grade I'll be getting back? The pieces of tape and residue were successfully removed prior to submission (sorry no pictures).

IMG_2782.jpg

IMG_2783.jpg

IMG_2784.jpg

Edited by Nilo2

That's a good question about the grade impact of the split wrap. Also, the top edge looks possibly trimmed. The right edge too for that matter. Could just be a manufacturing error.

This copy deserves more eyes on it.

@Funnybooks

@Point Five

@zzutak

@PunisherPunisherPunisher

@onlyweaknesskryptonite

@marvelmaniac

And let me fix this for @Galen130...(:

IMG_2782.thumb.jpg.874555faa536de46fbf12ac6550b9dad.jpg.a59da3b434b7b8f01c6e3b610b2a4853.jpg

IMG_2783.thumb.jpg.2a7830905a93be6ce22e91f4bb66d2bd.jpg.1d303c4733c81962c3437005295db825.jpg

IMG_2784.thumb.jpg.9f091e6bbbd9b13e35066e2fa115aa79.jpg.21cfc22c954a81dfb5e5ed5ee261f8b7.jpg

Edited by grendelbo

The book appears to be in the VG 4.0 range if you ignore the torn page, IMO it will drop to a GD- 1.8 to GD 2.0 with the torn page.

The trimming of the outer edge is of concern, Bindery Defect or after the fact?

The trimming probably will not make a difference on the grade, however it may make a difference on the label color.

What is the current turn around time for graded books...A year?

Thank you all for weighing in with your thoughts. @marvelmaniac, I sent the book in as a walk through with press which should take about a month (according to their posted lead-times). Several people have commented on the possibility that the book may have been trimmed. I thought the same at first too but, after having the book in hand, I'm pretty certain that its a bindery offset. I'd be very happy with a 2.0. I just really didn't know what to make of the split first wrap. I'll be sure to post the result and images as soon as I get the book back from CGC. Thanks again for the collective wisdom!

So the results are in and well..... *^%&!  The book came back a QUALIFIED 1.5...... Needless to say I'm more than a little upset. CGC thinks that the last page is married (hence the G.L.O.D.).  While I usually have faith in CGC, in this case I find myself seriously questioning the married page. Both the front and back pages of the first wrap where separated from the book and taped back with VERY old tape that I successfully removed. the tear on both pages matched almost exactly too. At this point, I'm not sure what to do. I cant stomach a green label so, as I see it, these are my options:

1) sell the book,

2) take my chances with CBCS. At the very least, they will return a blue label even with the married page,

3) have a pro seal and reattach the first wrap and send the book back to CGC for a conserved grade.

Please let me know your thoughts while I drown my sorrow in a beverage of choice....

image0.jpeg

On 3/8/2022 at 8:21 AM, AhsokaTano Jedi Apprentice said:

Married and detached ? What does that mean ?  Green Label Qualified Grade What does that mean ? Sorry Nilo but I'm just trying to learn and understand what happened to you. If anyone has the time to explain it to me. Sounds like a nightmare.

Qualified Label (Green)

A Qualified label is used by CGC for collectibles that have a significant defect that needs specific description, or to note an unauthenticated signature (one which was not witnessed by CGC). For example, a comic book with a missing coupon that otherwise grades 6.0 will receive a Qualified grade, avoiding a considerably lower grade. CGC would give this book a Qualified grade of 6.0 and a Label Text notation “COUPON MISSING FROM PAGE 10, DOES NOT AFFECT STORY.” Or, if the book is signed on the cover it may be noted as “NAME WRITTEN ON COVER IN MARKER.”

CGC, in calling the detached page "married," is saying it came from another copy of this issue.

My issue with the "Qualified" grade is: How can CGC determine that the last page is married and the first page (also loose and originally taped to the inside of the book) is original to the copy? Both sides of the first wrap are split / torn down the middle and marry up pretty much perfectly with identical page coloration etc.

I'm now seriously considering having the book worked on and resubmitting for a conserved grade. Not sure if that's a good idea or if I'm just in the "bargaining" stage of grief... Any advise would be welcome!

Ugh, sorry to hear this. I do imagine CGC gives greater scrutiny to pages or covers that have been reattached with tape... hard to imagine a married page is something they would suggest haphazardly. The red flag may have been something subtle, like a fairly slight difference in page size, page cut or page color. But I have no idea, just throwing out some scenarios.

Do you have more pictures of the pages in question.  They say p. 16 is married, but your original description said the first wrap is the one that is split, and neither the first or last page would be "p. 16."  Unless I'm hopelessly confused...which is possible.

On 3/8/2022 at 8:19 PM, JohnT said:

Do you have more pictures of the pages in question.  They say p. 16 is married, but your original description said the first wrap is the one that is split, and neither the first or last page would be "p. 16."  Unless I'm hopelessly confused...which is possible.

I’m guessing “Page 16” means the final interior page — Page 31/32 if you count both sides in the numbering. It is indeed a bit confusing.