• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jordan Peele's NOPE starring Keke Palmer, Daniel Kaluuya, Steven Yeun (2022)

52 posts in this topic

On 7/23/2022 at 9:35 AM, awakeintheashes said:

Have a random free few hours and it’s too hot outside. For anyone who has seen both, best use of two hours  - This or Thor?

This.  I watched it.  It's good.  Suspensful not scary. 

The reviews for Thor are just so bad I'll wait for Disney plus

On 7/23/2022 at 6:05 PM, WolverineX said:

This.  I watched it.  It's good.  Suspensful not scary. 

The reviews for Thor are just so bad I'll wait for Disney plus

Went to see it. Liked it. Like it even more thinking about it after. I’d see it again. 

This was a good movie, definitely not horror scary, but creepy. And I have to say it was a fresh take on the alien genre. Coupled with an excellent cast and production this makes for a fun summertime theater experience.  The ranch where most of the action takes place is such an awesome spot. Would be a dream to live in a place like that, with an entire valley to yourself. 

On 7/24/2022 at 9:43 AM, bentbryan said:

This was a good movie, definitely not horror scary, but creepy. And I have to say it was a fresh take on the alien genre. Coupled with an excellent cast and production this makes for a fun summertime theater experience.  The ranch where most of the action takes place is such an awesome spot. Would be a dream to live in a place like that, with an entire valley to yourself. 

Yeah, a unique take a lots to unpack as well. No spoilers, but just a few things I found woven into this enjoyable and very well acted movie. 

1. The continual desire to tame the untamable 
  2. The all consuming lengths people or things will do to get “eyes on them”
  3. The love letter to film making, as seen with many scenes in the movie focusing more on getting the shot than what is in the shot.

With all that said, the movie stands on its own as a great summer movie without thinking or diving into any of that. 

Edited by awakeintheashes

On 7/25/2022 at 10:00 AM, awakeintheashes said:

Yeah, a unique take a lots to unpack as well. No spoilers, but just a few things I found woven into this enjoyable and very well acted movie. 

1. The continual desire to tame the untamable 
  2. The all consuming lengths people or things will do to get “eyes on them”
  3. The love letter to film making, as seen with many scenes in the movie focusing more on getting the shot than what is in the shot.

With all that said, the movie stands on its own as a great summer movie without thinking or diving into any of that. 

this a fantastic breakdown

I would add, the price of fame, getting it, holding on to it

On 7/25/2022 at 6:56 PM, bentbryan said:

This isn’t really spoilery but I’m a bit confused as to the meaning of the vertical-pointed shoe. 

https://screenrant.com/why-shoe-was-standing-up-in-nope-movie/amp/

Bad miracle 

On 7/25/2022 at 7:56 PM, bentbryan said:

This isn’t really spoilery but I’m a bit confused as to the meaning of the vertical-pointed shoe. 

That was very odd.  Was it the creature causing the chimp to go insane or was it a totally unrelated  poltergeist or other being.... very strange it was never addressed

On 7/26/2022 at 8:35 AM, WolverineX said:

That was very odd.  Was it the creature causing the chimp to go insane or was it a totally unrelated  poltergeist or other being.... very strange it was never addressed

I believe the shoe was simply a random coincidental happening.  A "Bad Miracle".  (also possibly a red herring to have us viewers thinking about the supernatural?)

As far as the chimp/Gordy..... No poltergeist, no "creature" caused the chimp to go insane.  It was the hubris of the "Gordy Show" producers thinking they could control the chimp 100% of the time. 

Mirrored balloons popping will get a negative response from almost any creature.

Edited by gadzukes

On 7/23/2022 at 9:35 AM, awakeintheashes said:

Have a random free few hours and it’s too hot outside. For anyone who has seen both, best use of two hours  - This or Thor?

I've been to both now...

"Nope" = Masterpiece!  It's really well done.  There's lots to think about and analyze when you come out of the theatre.  Peele really put a lot of layers into this movie.

"Thor" = The worst MCU movie I've seen.  Watiti has ruined Thor.  Kevin Feige, if you're listening, please don't let Watiti touch another Thor movie.

On 7/26/2022 at 7:12 PM, gadzukes said:

I've been to both now...

"Nope" = Masterpiece!  It's really well done.  There's lots to think about and analyze when you come out of the theatre.  Peele really put a lot of layers into this movie.

"Thor" = The worst MCU movie I've seen.  Watiti has ruined Thor.  Kevin Feige, if you're listening, please don't let Watiti touch another Thor movie.

Wow, it's really that bad? I saw all the reviews which is why I was hesitant to put any money into it