• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Toho's GODZILLA MINUS ONE directed by Takashi Yamazaki (12/1/23)
8 8

265 posts in this topic

On 6/2/2024 at 8:49 PM, crassus said:

Watched it on Netflix last night, unfortunately missed it in the theaters, it was a very limited release, wish I had made more of an effort. I read further above in this thread that it was made for $10 million? Really? If so, and I were in the business of financing those other so-called Hollywood "blockbusters" I would be rethinking what I am paying for exactly. The story would have been compelling, and deeply significant in its context, even if there had been no real Godzilla...if it had just been some demon of the soul haunting him for what happened in the war, it would have been a powerful premise for a movie. The central theme of choosing to live, the stark portrayal of the devastation of war, the question of when, for each of its participants, a war really ends, a question universal to any conflict, and brought full circle at the end, raised the story to another level. There were so many scenes where I was emotionally gripped, the movie was in some sense a catharsis for the entire war. 

I was going to type something like this, but this is so on point I am going to enthusiastically +1 it.

My greatest compliment for this movie is that I actively rooted against Godzilla. Never happened before and probably never will again.

On 6/8/2024 at 9:36 PM, sd2416 said:

Where does this fit in the Godzilla timeline?  

The story begins months after WW2.  I don't know the Godzilla timeline but that is the period it happens in.  The first time we see him he is a lot smaller than how he is by the time he shows up again mid-film.

On 6/8/2024 at 9:36 PM, sd2416 said:

Where does this fit in the Godzilla timeline?  

There is no single Godzilla timeline. Leaving all of the American-made films out of the equation, the original Japanese franchise has been rebooted by Toho several times and has four distinct eras with storylines that exist separately from each period.

On 6/10/2024 at 12:52 PM, dick pontoon said:

There is no single Godzilla timeline. Leaving all of the American-made films out of the equation, the original Japanese franchise has been rebooted by Toho several times and has four distinct eras with storylines that exist separately from each period.

I did not know this.  Thank you. 

On 6/28/2024 at 2:13 PM, Artboy99 said:

excited to hear about this. Look forward to seeing it

:451621943_canadianbananaflaggif:

On 7/9/2024 at 12:20 PM, dick pontoon said:

Finally looks like a US Blu-ray release is forthcoming in September. I hope they'll release a more plain-jane less pricey version, too:

https://godzilla.com/products/godzilla-minus-one-blu-ray-deluxe-japan-collectors-edition

Just to be clear:  the discs with the feature film have English subtitles but the content on the bonus disc does not have subtitles. It is still Japanese only.  Also, the booklet is in Japanese. 

It’s not a huge deal, personally I’m not upset about it. But I do think the pricing on this is justified by the entire content of the package, some of which is unusable for me. So as much as I want the film, I think I’m going to hold off and see if there’s a different release.  I don’t remember if it was Toho or the company soliciting this preorder, but one of them was asked and they indicated there would be future English-friendly releases of this film. 

However, while the film may get a stripped-down release on Blu-ray, it’s quite possible that, like the original Japanese release, this set may be the only way to get the film on 4K. So if that’s important to you, you may want to seriously consider this set. 

Also, it’s highly unlikely that Toho will ever go through the expense of adding subtitles to all of the content on the bonus disc, so it probably won’t be included in any future releases. So again, if that content is important to you and are willing to try and find a workaround to it being in Japanese then it’s something to consider. 

I’m not trying to discourage anyone from buying this, just wanted to make sure people don’t get an unpleasant surprise when this arrives in a couple months.