• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Learned my lesson :(
2 2

9 posts in this topic

I collect a ton of original art and movie posters. I have a local framer who is fantastic at his job. I don’t even tell him what to do anymore, just drop off the piece, pay what he tells me and he takes care of the rest. There’s only one small problem. He ain’t cheap lol For the most part that’s fine, I consider myself a steward of history and it’s worth preserving for future generations. 

But in October I bought something just for me. I’m a big wrestling fan and John Cena was going to be at NYCC along with jerry lawler and good ole jr. I happened to have a poster my brother got me of cena so I figured, cool I’ll get it signed and framed. Now the poster is 24*36” and I know my framer usually charges me about $375 for something that size. I figured o hell why not try Michaels. It’s a personal piece so I don’t have to spend as much on archival glass etc.  Brought it in and had them measure it up etc. with all their discounts etc it came to $207. Great…. Or so I thought.  Next time I will just pay full price. :facepalm: 

7761434F-9E09-484D-8FE2-26A2B876854D.jpeg

On 2/20/2022 at 6:25 AM, Rick2you2 said:

Why not just bring it back and get the matting redone?

I called the store when I got home. Spoke to the framing department and was told “the job was done correctly.” Called back to speak to the manager and was on hold for about 10 minutes and was then disconnected. By then the store was closed. I will call tomorrow (Bergen county blue laws, all stores closed today except for food stores) and try to speak to the manager again.

On 2/20/2022 at 9:29 AM, jaybuck43 said:

I called the store when I got home. Spoke to the framing department and was told “the job was done correctly.” Called back to speak to the manager and was on hold for about 10 minutes and was then disconnected. By then the store was closed. I will call tomorrow (Bergen county blue laws, all stores closed today except for food stores) and try to speak to the manager again.

Bring it in to point out the mistake.

I forgot that you went to Michaels when you showed this to me.  The manager of my Michael's art department used to have her own framing business that went under during the last two years.  When I had a question about a piece that I had framed she took it back fully aware that it was not framed during her management, she had it inspected to make sure that it was done correctly and sealed it all back up again. 

There are gems in the rough. 

Take it to the manager of the store and see what they say.