• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Removing Pen/Pencil Markings

9 posts in this topic

I'm looking at a few low grade GA books that I want to buy and some of them have wants amounts to scribble and doodle on the cover. How would CGC view a book if I attempt to have them erased just with a simple white eraser? I know I could risk losing color but is there a professional solution to this that doesn't invlove dry cleaning etc and a PLOD designation as a result?

I'm looking at a few low grade GA books that I want to buy and some of them have wants amounts to scribble and doodle on the cover. How would CGC view a book if I attempt to have them erased just with a simple white eraser? I know I could risk losing color but is there a professional solution to this that doesn't invlove dry cleaning etc and a PLOD designation as a result?

Well there is a big difference between pen and pencil marking. You aren't going to remove pen with an eraser, unless you erase through to the clean paper under the pen, which, of course, you do not want to do.

Also - you say "if I attempt top erase with a simple white eraser" but you later say "there a professional solution to this that doesn't invlove dry cleaning" - but that white eraser is a part of dry cleaning.

You would lose color using a white eraser, at least if you erased enough to even semi-remove the pencil. To me, at any rate, those erased color areas are really fugly, especially when you can still see some of what was being erased.

How cgc would perceive it? I have no clue if they would see it as restoration or as just a defect to include in the overall grade assessment.

I have seen blue label CGC books with the notation "pencil arrive date erased on front cover", or words to that effect (back when they made such notations.) I don't think that would PLOD it.

I tend to agree but we need som eone who is on the take from CGC to answer this. Calling FFB!!! wink.gif

I have seen blue label CGC books with the notation "pencil arrive date erased on front cover", or words to that effect (back when they made such notations.) I don't think that would PLOD it.

I tend to agree but we need som eone who is on the take from CGC to answer this. Calling FFB!!! wink.gif

They would downgrade for the erasure damage, but no PLOD. The best example of this is the Captain America Comics #1 that is a raw 6.5 FN+ in the Overstreet Grading Guide, and that was later encapsulated as a blue label 6.5 FN+ by CGC. It has two big erasure marks where someone erased "UN" from the cover.

Well there is a big difference between pen and pencil marking. You aren't going to remove pen with an eraser, unless you erase through to the clean paper under the pen, which, of course, you do not want to do.

Also - you say "if I attempt top erase with a simple white eraser" but you later say "there a professional solution to this that doesn't invlove dry cleaning" - but that white eraser is a part of dry cleaning.

You would lose color using a white eraser, at least if you erased enough to even semi-remove the pencil. To me, at any rate, those erased color areas are really fugly, especially when you can still see some of what was being erased.

Well I'd like to show the book I have in mind but maybe I'll wait until I actually seal the deal.

How cgc would perceive it? I have no clue if they would see it as restoration or as just a defect to include in the overall grade assessment.

I had to show this one just to give a nice example of non-professional dry erasure of thick, black, dark grease pencil all over this beautiful lady by Da Nae Hansen. I left her name on it, so as to leave myself innocent of the first markings.

Venus had thick black hair, black collar and shoulder ruffs, lips, eyebrows and a nice black belt. She also had a nice thigh band and thick black shoes. The title was also thickly drawn in all the letters.

I bought this for about $25 as I didn't have a single issue of the title.....but then I had to erase the black so I could see pretty venus in all her glory. Yes there is some color loss, and yes, you can still see the outlines of all the thick black markings, but my goodness it looks 100% better than it did.

I have no regrets, as it's not a high grade book anyway. It's nice and solid, with the bottom chipping being the major structural defect.

I look at it this way, it wasn't color touch restoration when the black was applied, and it wasn't color touch restoration when the black was erased. 973627-ComicBook0591.JPG

973627-ComicBook0591.JPG.e63a641cfebda55456b50f2722fa2b9e.JPG

It was actually very disturbing to look at and quite hideous.

No, I should have scanned it prior to erasure, but once I started, I just couldn't stop and I didn't think to scan the ugly black thing. I'll check all my scans just to make sure.