• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Feedback requested about the CGC hosted grading contests.
4 4

56 posts in this topic

On 2/22/2022 at 9:51 AM, CGC Mike said:

Interesting.  At least one other person felt the same way.  Maybe we should just stick to CGC prizes next time?  I am guessing my budget will remain at $500 total.  Maybe $250 $150 $100 for 1st through 3rd place, or just 1 prize of $500?  Other?  

Since its a CGC hosted contest donating prizes doesnt have the same feel so I think might as well do away with that.  Just have 5 prizes from CGC-but you need to add some books as prizes-some people do not submit.  

I appreciate your hard work, Mike.

For me, I would have liked to receive a PM when the next round starts and another PM reminding me of the deadline. I saw the announcement for the fourth round, but I'm sure that something interrupted my train of thought (easily done at my age). I just don't have time to read all the forums every day. So I'm guessing that I never made it back to the HB,CYSPAG forum before the deadline.

On 2/22/2022 at 12:13 PM, Math Teacher said:

I appreciate your hard work, Mike.

For me, I would have liked to receive a PM when the next round starts and another PM reminding me of the deadline. I saw the announcement for the fourth round, but I'm sure that something interrupted my train of thought (easily done at my age). I just don't have time to read all the forums every day. So I'm guessing that I never made it back to the HB,CYSPAG forum before the deadline.

this would be brutal for mike sending literally thousands of extra PMs.

On 2/22/2022 at 2:29 PM, Math Teacher said:

I understand this completely. Maybe a splash panel at the top of the forums page might do the trick.

all you gotta do is when the books are revealed, wait a few minutes then the next round is posted.  It will say for each round when the round ends, and thats when the next round begins.

Here's what I posted on one of the other threads for this contest.

Allow tenured boardies in first and those who placed high in this contest (special invite).

Hire @zzutak to continue his excellent analysis of our opinions and the actual results from CGC.

Boardies step up to remind others of deadlines. So many excellent graders fell out of the contest because their grades were not submitted. I barely got mine in during Round 2.

Graders notes for all books!

Curve balls! Books that present perhaps a singular or unique defect. (Better to learn by.)

Maybe.. maybe an even or good mix of GA, SA, BA, CA and Modern comicbooks

Prizes for the Top 20 (because that's where I fell). And that'll be Top 10% if you're limiting the next contest to 200 contestants.

Pin each round temporarily to the top of the PGM page.

Special recognition in some way for @CGC Mike and those behind the scenes at CGC.

On 2/22/2022 at 3:00 PM, grendelbo said:

Boardies step up to remind others of deadlines. So many excellent graders fell out of the contest because their grades were not submitted. I barely got mine in during Round 2.

Just consider part of the contest being paying attention.

On 2/22/2022 at 6:00 PM, grendelbo said:

Here's what I posted on one of the other threads for this contest.

Allow tenured boardies in first and those who placed high in this contest (special invite).

Hire @zzutak to continue his excellent analysis of our opinions and the actual results from CGC.

Graders notes for all books!

Curve balls! Books that present perhaps a singular or unique defect. (Better to learn by.)

Maybe.. maybe an even or good mix of GA, SA, BA, CA and Modern comicbooks

Prizes for the Top 20 (because that's where I fell). And that'll be Top 10% if you're limiting the next contest to 200 contestants.

Pin each round temporarily to the top of the PGM page.

Special recognition in some way for @CGC Mike and those behind the scenes at CGC.

Good point on the grader notes

On 2/22/2022 at 11:08 AM, CGC Mike said:

There are going to be less than 300 participants next time.  I will probably cap it off somewhere around 200.  That's about all I can handle.   Also, I am going to keep the sign up thread open to just members who post here for about a week, and allow them first chance.  If we need more people after that, I might ask marketing to do an e-blast announcement to our customers.  

I opted out of the whole thing because of the marketing email part.  I may be selfish, but I had it in my head that it would just be for board members who are already here and at least lurking, not a bunch of new people that received an email because they have a CGC account.  They saw a chance at a CGC prize and figured out it was work.  Or they didn't participate because of how many people there were.  I'm old and cynical, so I'm probably in the minority on this...my opinion only. :preach:

On 2/22/2022 at 5:13 PM, kav said:

Just consider part of the contest being paying attention.

Some of us have other interests/activities that do not involve spending all day here on the message boards. There are MANY days in which I have time to read only 1 - 2 forums, and for me, that is the Golden/Silver/Bronze selling forum and the Silver Age forum. I didn't work yesterday, and I was hoping to get all the forums read, but my daughter's baby-sitter had a water problem, so she requested that we baby-sit our two grandchildren, which we were happy to do. However, I don't feel it's appropriate to say, "Grandson, I'm sorry that I don't have time to play with you right now. It's very important for me to read all the forums on the CGC website."

Yes, I could read all the forums after dinner, but, crazy as it seems, I like to spend time with my wife. And since I get up at 5:15 AM, it's rare if I haven't gone to bed by 9:00 PM.

On 2/22/2022 at 4:30 PM, Math Teacher said:

Some of us have other interests/activities that do not involve spending all day here on the message boards. There are MANY days in which I have time to read only 1 - 2 forums, and for me, that is the Golden/Silver/Bronze selling forum and the Silver Age forum. I didn't work yesterday, and I was hoping to get all the forums read, but my daughter's baby-sitter had a water problem, so she requested that we baby-sit our two grandchildren, which we were happy to do. However, I don't feel it's appropriate to say, "Grandson, I'm sorry that I don't have time to play with you right now. It's very important for me to read all the forums on the CGC website."

Yes, I could read all the forums after dinner, but, crazy as it seems, I like to spend time with my wife. And since I get up at 5:15 AM, it's rare if I haven't gone to bed by 9:00 PM.

I mean the contest isnt for everyone-some people have rather tight schedules.  But that shouldnt be visited on poor mike or others.

On 2/22/2022 at 9:17 PM, CGC Mike said:

Hey all:

Now that the contest is over (with the exception of the prize picking), I was looking for opinions on any changes you would like to see in future contests.

Thanks in advance.  

Mike

I would like to know about them! I visit this site nearly every day but have never seen where these contests are announced. Maybe I don't get around the forum enough...

I thought you did a great job @CGC Mike. Plenty of time to get grades in and the kinks seemed to work themselves out as we went along. 

I'm of the mindset to keeping it to board members for 1-2 weeks and then an email blast if needed. Even if the email blast only allows say 50 entries, that will give all the regulars a chance to sign up first. It would be interesting to know how many of the newcomers continue to log in and, god forbid, post something meaningful. Even if it is wheatcakes related :insane:...