• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Qualified Label
1 1

2 posts in this topic

I have a bronze age key in approximately 5.0-6.0 condition.  Structural elements, including cover and staples, are intact.  No restoration.  

Two major issues for which I am seeking a Qualified grade: 1) MVS missing (affects story) and 2) page missing (affects story)

The consensus seems to be that assuming CGC agrees with my condition assessment, I can get a Qualified label rather than a .5 Universal.  Would you please confirm this?  If I may still not get a Qualified label (even assuming CGC agrees that it is 5.0+ with no structural issues or restoration), can you please tell me what the other variables might include?  I only wish to submit for a Qualified label, so if there is a fair chance or better than I will be forced into a Universal label (even if the assumptions above are all true) then I'd elect not to submit.

To be clear, I completely understand that a Qualified label cannot be guaranteed in all cases because if the actual grade is lower than I anticipate, then CGC does not do Qualified labels on low-grade books.  I am only attempting to confirm hypothetically that the book I have outlined above (a 5.0+ with missing story pages) would, in fact, receive a Qualified label.

Thanks much.

Edited by Poekaymon

• Administrator

Good morning,

Thank you for your message. Whether or not a book will receive a qualified label or a universal label is up to the graders.  Generally, when the overall condition of the book would result in a lower graded book, the graders may just give the book a universal label since the grade would be lower even with factoring out the major defects that would normally cause a qualified label.  Customers could indicate with a sticky note attached to the bag the book is in that they prefer one label over the other but it is not a guarantee that the graders can or will be able to accommodate that request.  

If you have any other questions, please let us know. Thank you!