• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Complimentary not to be sold printed on cover
2 2

28 posts in this topic

On 2/23/2022 at 5:36 PM, MyNameIsLegion said:

In your Spidey example - what you are likely seeing is the black ink was running weak on the press at some point during the run. It’s unlikely they ran out of order, they wiiks have to reverse the plates. Black can and is often a rock black meaning it is comprised of 100k and some %of CMY. If you print heavy CMY you can fake a black but it’s weak. During a press run ink is applied to the well feeding the rollers. Their can be variations as a result. This is most obvious in colors that are a mix like a purple, where the precise % of blue or red will drastically change the hue.

OK. So if the plates were run in the correct order, and the result I am seeing is due to the black ink running weak, can you explain why the black areas arrowed #1 and #2 are as they should be, yet the black areas arrowed #3 and #4 are not?

Capture.PNG.69930707e5ef242ca614996aace554ce.PNG

If the black is visually strong in all cover locations other than where red is present (on the finished article), and in those areas of the cover the red appears to sit 'on top' of the black, does that not indicate that the black ink was applied evenly on the black plate, but those creating the red that we see were run last, out of sequence, causing the effect above?

108p.thumb.jpg.d130d2c01e8b8d4ec3086228707128d8.jpg

Do you see what I'm saying?

On 2/23/2022 at 1:32 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

OK. So if the plates were run in the correct order, and the result I am seeing is due to the black ink running weak, can you explain why the black areas arrowed #1 and #2 are as they should be, yet the black areas arrowed #3 and #4 are not?

Capture.PNG.69930707e5ef242ca614996aace554ce.PNG

If the black is visually strong in all cover locations other than where red is present (on the finished article), and in those areas of the cover the red appears to sit 'on top' of the black, does that not indicate that the black ink was applied evenly on the black plate, but those creating the red that we see were run last, out of sequence, causing the effect above?

108p.thumb.jpg.d130d2c01e8b8d4ec3086228707128d8.jpg

Do you see what I'm saying?

Yup, I see what you mean, it’s a little hard to tell without a loop to look at the rosette pattern of the printed screen dots. What I was trying to convey was that you still see “black” in the areas you indicated but it’s comprised of red, green, blue and missing black ink itself. It appears dark, but not as dark as it should with a rich black that is comprised of all 4 colors combined. That’s why that’s called a rich black.  Most lettering is black only, no other colors so that it’s clearer and not a subject to mis-registration. The way it looks on his foot very much tells be there black ink was low, as the webbing would have been on the black plate only for similar reasons as type being black only. They were overprinting the black over the other colors to give it more depth and clarity.

On 2/23/2022 at 9:05 PM, MyNameIsLegion said:

Yup, I see what you mean, it’s a little hard to tell without a loop to look at the rosette pattern of the printed screen dots. What I was trying to convey was that you still see “black” in the areas you indicated but it’s comprised of red, green, blue and missing black ink itself. It appears dark, but not as dark as it should with a rich black that is comprised of all 4 colors combined. That’s why that’s called a rich black.  Most lettering is black only, no other colors so that it’s clearer and not a subject to mis-registration. The way it looks on his foot very much tells be there black ink was low, as the webbing would have been on the black plate only for similar reasons as type being black only. They were overprinting the black over the other colors to give it more depth and clarity.

Are you making all this up? lol

Spoiler

:foryou:

On 2/23/2022 at 3:08 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Are you making all this up? lol

Reveal hidden contents

:foryou:

Well he does (did?) it for a living so... ;-)
... printing, that is.  He could also make up a bunch of stuff but I doubt it pays very well.

Edited by Stronguy

On 2/23/2022 at 11:05 PM, Stronguy said:

Well he does (did?) it for a living so... ;)

It was the loop to look at the rosette pattern of the printed screen dots that made me wonder. It had an air of reversing the polarity of the neutron flow about it. 

On 2/23/2022 at 1:34 AM, CDorin said:

Hello, I have looked around and only found posts about stamped complementary copies. This one is actually printed on the cover. Manufactured with complimentary not to be sold directly on it. Asked the comic shops around me and nobody had ever heard about that. Just wondering if anyone more knowledgeable knows what they were produced for / how many / if there’s a market for this.

thanks!

18A0F717-EB90-409E-9CB1-19648C860E36.jpeg

My guess is in what the substance was used to make the stamp impression. It seems to have adhered to the white of the cover but not to the inks. This was stamped after manufacture is the way I see it.

On 2/23/2022 at 5:56 PM, Jayman said:

My guess is in what the substance was used to make the stamp impression. It seems to have adhered to the white of the cover but not to the inks. This was stamped after manufacture is the way I see it.

That would make the most sense, especially since you can see faint traces of it in the colored areas, like it just didn't quite take.