• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General questions on Grading, would really appreciate some feedback

23 posts in this topic

They are your comics. Why not buy a cheap press and teach yourself? Professional pressers are only slightly trailing CGC in the money-making department, so they keep their procedures secret. The truth is that pressing is not any more difficult than any other task that has a procedure to learn. As you practice, you make mistakes, but you also learn what not to do. It's very important to be detail oriented and willing to research how to correct anything you are doing wrong. Go for it. At least you will be happier with your collection.

On 2/23/2022 at 11:03 AM, FlyJ said:

Hi All,

S basically I am just getting back into my old collection mainly Bronze and Modern with a few Silver aged. Lets just say the passion is coming back! with that being said I have recently posted a few books on the "Spare a Grade thread" and am seeing allot of really helpful members mention pressing and cleaning and its benefit on the books grade/aesthetics. My question is would it be a bad idea to buy a presser of my own and learn on some less important books or is that a very stupid idea? im seeing pressers going for like $200 which im fine with as I assume getting a book pressed will cost around $20 (I could be way off!)

anyway is it a bad idea to buy my own presser and how much does pressing cost in general.

I think it would only be a bad idea if you planned on going from 0 to pressing your most valuable/sentimental books expecting great results without going through the process of learning and mastering the craft.  As an amateur presser I'm gaining confidence and skill but I'm still a ways down the road from pressing any books I'm not willing to completely destroy.