• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Worst Speculative Purchases of the CGC Peak

43 posts in this topic

Hey folks,

KK mentioned the ASM 19 that went for $25 000 (did it really?).

Made me wonder - what are some examples of the worst prices paid for books these last few years?

Some DDs went for bonehead money in the summer of 2002 in the run-up to the February 2003 movie. (I remember Delekkerste mentioning on his about me page years ago that a DD 183 CGC 9.6 for $251 - i bought mine raw for under 10).

List as you please. Absolute dollars not essential - just an obvious indication that speculation/CGCfrenzy was the driving force behind the price.

spawn #1, X-Men #1 with tons of covers, x-force #1 with thirty hundred cards, [embarrassing lack of self control] like that was speculated.

It is a common book in any grade below 9.4, and certainly more common than the numbers around it, but no, it wasn't a warehouse find book.

Thanks Andy, just with seeing 3 9.9's (unless they are the same book, i didnt look closely enough) that made me think Thor 132 and 156 and warehouse find.

It is a common book in any grade below 9.4, and certainly more common than the numbers around it, but no, it wasn't a warehouse find book.

Thanks Andy, just with seeing 3 9.9's (unless they are the same book, i didnt look closely enough) that made me think Thor 132 and 156 and warehouse find.

It's the same book, which (correct me if I'm wrong) is still the earliest CGC 9.9. It certainly has fluctuated in price realized...

Here is a link to the oldest 10.0's and 9.9's. In order by date here are the top 5 oldest 9.9's.

Zip Comics #7 1940

Thrilling Comics #32 1942

Captain Marvel Jr. #29 1945

Kolynos Presents The White Guard 1949

War Against Crime #10 1950

http://www.valiantcomics.com/cgc/customissues.asp?pickgrade=99&yearend=1994

If I remember rightly, eBay user 'procrustean' bought a 10.0 ASM (Vol. 2) #36 for over $3,000 just weeks after release.

Old school board members will fondly remember 'Crusty & his mad ravings here. Once claimed to have a CGC 9.8 DD 168 long before one ever appeared in the census. foreheadslap.gif

Hall of Shame

have to mention a few honorees...

dd168.gif DD 168 CGC 9.8 $3305.25

wolv.gif Wolverine Mini 1 CGC 10.0 $3,550.00

bat608.gif Batman 608 RRP CGC 9.8 $2300.00 Reserve Not Met

gosh - u think the seller would take that 2300 now? lucky for the would-be buyer he didn't win the auction...