• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First appearance designations in CGC label: why do some copies of the encapsulated book have the designation, and some do not?

5 posts in this topic

I have noticed some older "slabbed" books having details for the contents of the books, compared to newer "slabbed" books. Is this a mistake, or are extra details to be requested by the submitter of the book? For example first appearance, second appearance, cameo, double cover, triple cover, CPV, other types of facts related to character appearances in the book, one book example is Sam and Max 1, a book from the late 1980's: first book in the registry, 031209001, has details stating the first appearance: The other registered copy, 3938624004, has no information about the contents of the book and it's significance, just writer, artist, cover credits near the grade. There are 2 graded books listed for sale on ebay as of today's date, different grades, but the same lack of additional information/details. If the details need to be requested, should that be written on the submission form? Or if it was omitted during the encapsulation process, would that be considered an error with processing, and a resubmission would be covered by CGC?

Thanks!

Chris

• Administrator

Good morning,

Thank you for your message. The information listed on the label can change over time.  So, if you have a book that was graded quite a while ago that might not have as much information listed as the same book graded more recently if the graders decided to add or change the information listed.  It wouldn't be considered a mistake, just a change in the label information.  You could resubmit your book for a reholder and we could update the label with the newest information but regular reholder fees would apply. 

You may check any book on our CGC Census to see what Key Comments, Art Comments and First Appearance notations are currently listed for that book. 

If you do not see a First Appearance notation that you believe should be noted, you may request it.  To request a first appearance update or inclusion of other information to the current label, please include a note both on your printed submission form and also attached to the bag of the specific book (post-it on comic bag) and our graders will review and make a determination on that request during the grading process. 

https://www.cgccomics.com/census/

Thank you!

Hello again Jennifer,

I was looking for a better copy of this title for myself, and came across another 9.8, but I recalled in the census there were only 2, this additional book would make it 3...then I noticed that the same book has been registered in the census with two different titles, and one of the titles gets the first appearance note, while the other gets no distinction. Here are pictures of the same book, different CGC titles for both. Is this due to how the books were submitted by the individual, or is this a change in the title to be more exact, more descriptive/accurate in the newer registry number versus the older registry number? 

Thanks!

Chris

Image 1 -  Sam & Max, Freelance Police* Special Edition #1*CGC GRADE*9.8 NM/MT*FIRST PRINT

Image 1 - SAM & MAX #1 CGC 9.8-First appearance-comic book 0312094001

• Administrator
On 3/3/2022 at 10:36 AM, AliTabooger said:

Hello again Jennifer,

I was looking for a better copy of this title for myself, and came across another 9.8, but I recalled in the census there were only 2, this additional book would make it 3...then I noticed that the same book has been registered in the census with two different titles, and one of the titles gets the first appearance note, while the other gets no distinction. Here are pictures of the same book, different CGC titles for both. Is this due to how the books were submitted by the individual, or is this a change in the title to be more exact, more descriptive/accurate in the newer registry number versus the older registry number? 

Thanks!

Chris

Image 1 -  Sam & Max, Freelance Police* Special Edition #1*CGC GRADE*9.8 NM/MT*FIRST PRINT

Image 1 - SAM & MAX #1 CGC 9.8-First appearance-comic book 0312094001

Hi, sorry it took so long to get an answer on this.  I just heard back from the graders and it does look like the book that was missing the first appearance info was entered incorrectly in our system and that is why that wasn't on the label.  We can correct this for you at no charge.  Please just send us an email with the certification number and note what the issue is and we can send you instructions and a pre-paid label to send that back to be fixed for you.  You can email us at: submissions@cgccomics.com.  Thank you!