• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Label Modifications

472 posts in this topic

This does not simplify collecting. I hope each new slab under this system will come with Cliff Notes. I know we asked for more information. It's the myriad new classifications that will cause confusion. New collectors won't stand a chance, in my opinion.

And I still feel that this new system is going to appear tailor made for PCS to offer an expanded assortment of services to fit every label.

Brad

God, this just seems to easy. I am so glad they have taken it from 4 colors to 2 colors with a bunch of designations. I am sure some horror stories will start about how someone went to a show and was so excited they bought a book only to take it home and look at it closer to find out it has P5 or whatever the geekweekly textbooks say.

Regarding the deacification section - Does anyone know how this affects the book from an appearance standpoint? How detectible is it and how does it change the overall properties of a book?

CGC is asking us to debate wether a book that has been deacidified should be universal or apparent, so I'd like to be more informed on the issue.

popcorn.gif

Regarding the deacification section - Does anyone know how this affects the book from an appearance standpoint? How detectible is it and how does it change the overall properties of a book?

CGC is asking us to debate wether a book that has been deacidified should be universal or apparent, so I'd like to be more informed on the issue. popcorn.gif

It generally is just a spray. I don't think it is able to be seen. It doesn't smell and doesn't mark the book. I have never used it though and it is very expensive (around $4 an ounce)

It's back to blue labels with "notes"

I really don't care what the color of the label states. It notes "Apparant" and it will still be a PLOD to me.

Without the rules on how they grouped Conserved versus Restored and the levels I'm not clear on this yet.

It is a bunch of [embarrassing lack of self control]. This is being done to help market values for Qualified and Plods. This way, they will not be immediately noticed by a prospective buyer. This is all about greed and misdirection. This is not being done out of interest of the collecting hobby.

Lastly, GET RID OF QUALIFIED LABELS AND GRADE THE BOOK WHAT IT SHOULD BE. Qualified labels are nothing more than bookends holding up the good stuff in between. They only good thing they are used for is to line the outside of the boxes in case they get crushed.

Ever since these annoucements were made awhile ago, has anyone stood up and said, "Hey, CGC, great idea! Keep up the good work!"? Anyone? Bueller?

Of course. All of the imaginary dealers and collectors have been demanding this change for years. Did anyone feel the ground shake?? It's all the PLOD owners rushing to the post office to resub their frankenbooks.

Waiting anxiously for the PGX announcement stating similar changes..... foreheadslap.gif

If they're smart....they won't do a dang thing in response to this.

With all they crazyness going on lately with CGC slabs, this new move is a backwards move in re-establishing their credibility in the collector marketplace.

I shake my head in disbelief, and I honestly think that if PGX steps up a little more in their services they will eventually surpass CGC and their roles will be reversed.