• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Label Modifications

472 posts in this topic

Dr. Banner,

I'm still absorbing these new "proposed" changes, but personally I would like to see an end to the Qualified label; just give the book the grade it deserves with the defect/piece missing/coupon cut/MVS cut/ect.

As you noted, your Tomahawk example: I would rather see it in a Blue label 6.0 with "Detached staple" noted on the label. Just MHO.

How about a 6.0 but the notes on the label would say "detached bottom staple o/w 9.2"?

Surely you believe "Q 9.2 detached bottom staple" is more information than "6.0" in this case?

I suggested giving both grades, not just the technical grade. That would be providing the most info.

If CGC can't determine technical grades with the kinds of defects you mentioned(detached staple, clipped coupon), then there's really no point in sending in books with those defects for certification. No reason to fork over $$ when you're still left to determine the technical grade yourself.

Here's a very rough working design for a new label back. Some of the existing text on the label can be condensed, as it would be covered in the grading guide, and tighter line spacing could be used to save space too. On the right side of the label would be a rough breakdown of the new grading categories, with a small chart showing the different levels of restoration/conservation. As important would be the existance of a url that a buyer could check, for a more expanded explanation of the grading. It's not perfect, but it's a start. Along with my suggestion that the word apparent be reversed into blue on white on the front,......I think it would be a little help towards understanding.

backoflabel.jpg

yeah, but if you reverse the text on the front, you run the risk of stigmatising the slabs. it would become the "RLOD" or "Reversed Label of Death," thus defeating the really really real reason they're doing away with the Purple

yeah, but if you reverse the text on the front, you run the risk of stigmatising the slabs. it would become the "RLOD" or "Reversed Label of Death," thus defeating the really really real reason they're doing away with the Purple

Hate to tell you, but I think you'll be hearing the phrase "APLOD" anyway. CGC might as well just make it clearer, recover a few public relations points and move on.

I like BLOD, or Blue Label of Deceit.

Or how about BLOAT, Blue Label of Apparent Trash?

Has my BLOU (Blue Label Of Uncertainty) gone by the wayside already?

frown.gif

Joe.

Ive always been with you.I do not like the all blue label for everyone.

Its just a way[which will not work] to artificially try to raise the price for restored books.The results will be just the opposit of what cgc expects because I[we] will be scrutinizing restored books now all the more since i now have to look beyond the purple label and look even harder to scrutinize and disect what is wrong with the books,making the stigma for restored books all the stronger.It will have the opposite effect of what was trying to be accomplished.

We will see who is right in future auctions.

Joe.

Ive always been with you.I do not like the all blue label for everyone.

Its just a way[which will not work] to artificially try to raise the price for restored books.The results will be just the opposit of what cgc expects because I[we] will be scrutinizing restored books now all the more since i now have to look beyond the purple label and look even harder to scrutinize and disect what is wrong with the books,making the stigma for restored books all the stronger.It will have the opposite effect of what was trying to be accomplished.

We will see who is right in future auctions.

If you completely avoided PLODs before, then all you have to do is avoid APPARENT labels under the new system.

If you don't mind certain kinds of restoration, then all you have to do is read the details of the work done, just as you did before.

If you like your books unaltered from their original state, then stay away from apparent labels just as you did with PLODS. If you're not bothered by altered books, you now have more information on the label about the level of those alterations.

I haven't been on in a few days. I haven't read thru the entire 229 posts, but figured I'd post now.

This is the first rational comment so far.

I saw the label in B'more. I liked it. I can't believe everyone is getting up in arms about this. A things to consider:

1. So they changed the color. Doesn't mean you have to buy it.

2. If you were never in the market for restored books, who the [embarrassing lack of self control] cares? Don't buy "new" label. I won't.

3. If you're worried about potential eBay scammers, don't buy off of eBay. Too many horror stories anyway.

4. If you think that the big dealers: Metro, Storms, Pedigree, etc.. aren't going to note this (if they have one in their inventory), you're an insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

5. We've been crying for more info. The new label has lots more info than the old PLOD's. What's the problem?

6. Restored/Conserved/Apparent...What's the difference? I'm not buying any of them.

As far as I can see, the only 'real' concern is the timing. I believe Red is correct about the timing of the label w/ PCS starting up. It does seem more than coincidence.

But guess what? You don't have to buy the damn things. foreheadslap.gif

You people are being very simplistic about this "New Label" move, using the old "if you don't like it, don't buy it" strawman. It's not just a stupid label, but the potential that it, and the coincidental timing with the PCS announcement and the Ewert scandal, will cause another rift between CGC and the collector.

My problem with it, is that I feel the average customer will not approve of the loss of the easy-to-use label colors that have been in effect for 5+ years, and basically have become industry standard, and many buyers will just drop out...

and

When coupled with the various scandals, the upcoming PCS fiasco, and now the bizarre BLOD stupidity, I truly believe this will have a downward effect on future CGC book prices, especially anything remotely common (99.5% of books out there). I'm not an investor by any stretch, but I'm not stupid either, and would like to walk away with at least some money in my pocket.

I think the New Label+PCS is the literal "straw that broke the camel's back" and as such, I'm getting out, and will not be taking part in any CGC transactions in the future. Anyone with any real monetary investment in CGC books, should at least give some thought about doing the same.

You people are being very simplistic about this "New Label" move, using the old "if you don't like it, don't buy it" strawman. It's not just a stupid label, but the potential that it, and the coincidental timing with the PCS announcement and the Ewert scandal, will cause another rift between CGC and the collector.

My problem with it, is that I feel the average customer will not approve of the loss of the easy-to-use label colors that have been in effect for 5+ years, and basically have become industry standard, and many buyers will just drop out...

and

When coupled with the various scandals, the upcoming PCS fiasco, and now the bizarre BLOD stupidity, I truly believe this will have a downward effect on future CGC book prices, especially anything remotely common (99.5% of books out there). I'm not an investor by any stretch, but I'm not stupid either, and would like ot walk away with at least some money in my pocket.

I think the New Label+PCS is the literal "straw that broke the camel's back" and as such, I'm getting out, and will not be taking part in any CGC transactions in the future. Anyone with any real monetary investment in CGC books, should at least give some thought about doing the same.

Joe, I suspect that your real problem is with PCS. I doubt you needed the proposed label change to break your camel's back. I hope you'll email all your concerns to CGC.

Joe, I suspect that your real problem is with PCS. I doubt you needed the proposed label change to break your camel's back.

Nope, my problem is all three, as the Ewert Trims made me sick, CGC announcing an in-house Pressing Emporium got me queasy, and then seeing these bizarre new labels was the last straw.

It's pretty transparent what's really going on here, and I can see CGC getting rid of the term "RESTORED" in no time at all.

It's pretty transparent what's really going on here, and I can see CGC getting rid of the term "RESTORED" in no time at all.

I completely disagree, but if it ever comes to pass, I'll be the first to admit that you were right and i was full of malarky.